Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dsims
What's DOS?
Views: 10,389
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo 3000 n100 0768-04U laptop hard drive replacement

I think I need a little help in replacing my hard disk drive on my laptop.

The Operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium.

The laptop is a 3000 n100 0768-04U model and here is what I have done to date:

*Ordered and recieved a 320gb 7200rpm replacement drive from NewEgg.

*Used Ghost 8.x at first to image the drive and tried to place on the new drive...didn't work.

*My friends told me I need to use Ghost 11 or better for Vista, so I did that image....didn't work.

I have probably a good 20 hours of ghosting and messing around with this system by now.

*Tried to use the Rescue and Restore program by creating media disks.

This proved to be even more confusing.  Cut two CD/DVD disks.  One CD for Startup Recovery and one DVD for product recovery.  Started using these to rebuild the new disk.  No OS disk and the recovery was asking for one, so canceled that part.

When using the product disk it kept going and going and going.  Again, taking a lot of time.  There has got to be an easier way to just replace a low sized disk with a bigger one with out having to purchase a lot of software.  Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on what I should do next?  I am back on my original hard drive of 120gb now and soon will be running out of storage space.  Thank you in advance for the assistance.  (David)

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 10,370
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo 3000 n100 0768-04U laptop hard drive replacement

How about use the Easeus Diskcopy, it is free and works great. 

P.S. Ghost doesn't work properly, most people use Acronis Trueimage, it works much better and has better capability.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
LOTL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,346
Message 3 of 12

Havent tried Easeus Diskcopy, but i just used DriveImage XML

Its also free and the few times i have used it, it worked great.

Have not restored the image that i created for my 3000 n100, but have used it to create and restore images in the past with no problems.

You might also want to have a look at the other free offerings for Drive Imaging programs on Gizmos site. 
Message Edited by LOTL on 04-27-2009 04:03 AM
Message Edited by LOTL on 04-27-2009 04:22 AM
peacesong
Paper Tape
Views: 10,318
Message 4 of 12

Hi dsims,

I have a solution for you and a question as I have the same laptop model. What specs did you find for the drive?  Been searching for nearly 2 hours online and can't figure out what drive specs to order.  Sounds like you bought just what I need.

Next, for many years I have gone from smaller to larger drives and recovered from dead drives.  Ghost will give you nightmares... so buggy and completely impossible for full recovery.

Get ACRONIS - This product is very low cost (about $30) and works!  Fast, reliable - they even have great support.  I've used it now for 5 years on over 20 computers.

The  easiest place is to order from Newegg.com and get the download version.

Best wishes,

Peacesong

Retired Guru
Views: 10,311
Message 5 of 12

peacesong - You need a 2.5" SATA hard drive with the standard 9.5mm height for your N100. You can use either 5400RPM or 7200RPM.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
peacesong
Paper Tape
Views: 10,302
Message 6 of 12

thank you for the feedback.

I'm not seeing the  "9.5mm height" noted in any of the specs on hard drives.  For example, I found

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM 

Fujitsu MHZ2320BJ-G2 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Both, same price ($79) with the Fujitsu being a little faster seek time and the WD having 7X more reviews (highly positive reviews for each).

Any thoughts on whether these meet the spec, appreciated!

Retired Guru
Views: 10,274
Message 7 of 12

Usually the "9.5mm" specification is left out as they are the standard height. I should have just left this out of my response as it confuses people.

Now back to the question. Either one should work fine.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
dsims
What's DOS?
Views: 10,267
Message 8 of 12

Hello peacesong,

I cheated and first looked up the specs on the Lenovo laptop ahead of time.

Using those initial specs, I found that this drive at newegg met the specifications for what I was after....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148336

Thank you for the information.

When I have some time again I will give the Easeus Diskcopy program a try.

Have already downloaded it and created the boot disk.

Now just need the time to give a try.

Hope it works!

LOTL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,224
Message 9 of 12

I just ordered the Scorpio Black drive from zipzoomfly (The egg doesnt carry the free fall sensor version).

The height dimension is 9.5mm according to the specs at WD's website.

I went back and forth between this drive and the Seagate one you ordered and had to go with the 5 year warranty and the better specs on the free fall sensor. Read all the reviews and they both had their share of issues. Hopefully we will both have positive results with each.

Maybe we can start a seperate thread including drive impressions along with experiances with imaging software used.

Best of luck.

dsims
What's DOS?
Views: 10,123
Message 10 of 12

GOOD NEWS!!!

Tonight I managed to get my drive transfered over to the new disk.

I used Ghost 11.5 with an option called "Image Disk".

Think this is what was causing my problems in getting the drive imaged in the first place.

Had to do this in two steps in order to provide a fall back position in case things did not work as expected.

Have a 500gb Maxtor One Touch USB drive.  Ghosted the disk to that disk first.

Then changed the drives in the laptop.  Then ghosted the image back from the Maxtor to the new drive.

Once this was accomplished, I used the Disk Manager utility on Vista to extend the ghosted image out to the end of the available space.

Thank you all for the help.  Lots of good suggestions and I appreciate them all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors