Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-07-2008

San Jose

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo 3000 n100 keyboard problem

2008-09-07, 20:12 PM

Whenever I type out the letters n, it comes out at 6n. B comes out as 5b. 5 comes out as 5b and 6 comes out as 6n.

I had just recently went out to a local quickfixus repair center and for about 2-3 weeks, the keyboard was fine. Now, it's back to being this way. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Options

1 Posts

11-20-2008

Oregon

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo 3000 n100 keyboard problem

2008-11-20, 20:49 PM

I am having this identical problem. It just started randomly yesterday - I didn't spill anything on the laptop or drop it.

I called Lenovo support and the agent tried to help me as best he could. We went through a number of options like resetting the BIOS and testing the Fn key, but nothing worked. I was under the impression this was a software error (using default Vista installation, but I have seen this error pop up on the Ubuntu (linux) forums as well, so it could be a hardware or BIOS problem.

I tried using an external USB keyboard and that worked fine - again making me think this could be a problem related to the physical laptop keys.

What apparently happens is that  when you press a few certain keys, like 5,N,6,B or a couple others. It causes them to both register in the computer. So for instance, if you press B the computer registers 5 and B being pressed together and 5B comes up on screen. I really noticed this in the Lenovo diagnostics (F11 when computer boots) while doing the keyboard test. When you press (i.e.) B, the test shows that both 5 and B have been pressed.

Has anyone else had this problem and had a resolution. I might consider that something has simply shorted out, but the similarity (exact same keys) between this, the original poster and a couple others I have seen on the net makes me think it could be something else.

Options

1 Posts

02-02-2009

california

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 9

2009-02-02, 3:33 AM
Thats wierd, I've got the exact same problem with the exact same keys. My first thought was a short in the keyboard, but I can't be just a coincidence that we a have the exact same keys go wonky on us.
Options

1 Posts

02-03-2009

Austria

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 4 of 9

2009-02-03, 19:56 PM

I have exactly the same pro5blem for a few days 6now. A6ny idea already how to solve this?

5=5b

b=5b

6=6n

n=6n

Cheers,

Hofrat

Options

1 Posts

02-19-2009

UK

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 5 of 9

2009-02-19, 17:14 PM

Hi,

This is a hardware fault - unless it's still within warranty you will need to buy a new keyboard (see eBay bit below)...

I've just replaced a customers keyboard for a US spec type and it's working fine now.

With being in the UK region I simply just set it to a US spec keyboard - the only other issue the Function key shortcuts being incorrect but that doesn't matter as the majority of these can be done through the GUI.

There are sellers on eBay from Hong Kong who sell brand new US spec keyboards on eBay for £6 each. Yep, £6! That's less than $10. I was quote more than £70 for a UK spec keyboard which is scandalous.

I got the keyboard in less than a week. As long as you do the transaction with Insurance (and credit card for protection) then you'll be fine.

Postage isn't too cheap but then again it's still saving you a fortune than the cost from Lenovo...

Message Edited by Paul_s on 02-19-2009 05:36 PM
Options

1 Posts

04-10-2009

Peterborough,UK

4 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 6 of 9

2009-04-10, 11:16 AM
Hi, I have the same pro5blem for the past two days. Have you got a6ny solutio6n for this, please suggest me? My laptop is also a Le6novo 5bra6nd.
Options

2 Posts

10-25-2009

Hove

5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 7 of 9

2009-10-28, 19:38 PM

Hello,

It's taken ages for me to register, but I wanted to share that I had the 5b 6n problem and spent ages pestering friends, as well as lots of money on a premium rate 'pc help' phone call to try to solve the problem. I was continually advised to buy a new keyboard. Anyway, later (before sorting out a new keyboard) I was balancing my laptop on an edge and it fell forwards towards me, resulting in me putting my palm on some keys on the right hand side of the keyboard for a second or two and, after that, it returned to normal! 

Occasionally the same thing has happened and I mimicked the same 'palm on right hand keys' and, again, it resolved immediately. Unfortunately, a few months on, it's occurred more often (when I first turn the laptop on, but by holding the same keys for two to three seconds, or trying individual keys (return key, right shift, PgDn have all worked separately after trying different keys for a bit) it eventually works.

Good luck, I know how irritating it is! 

Options

1 Posts

05-10-2011

UK

12 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 8 of 9

2011-05-10, 10:38 AM
I came across this thread when my keyboard started to produce the same problems as reported above. My first action was to buy a USB keyboard which worked fine. The next thing I did was to remove my laptop keyboard totally (pretty easy to do), stripped all the keys, brushed 4 years of crumbs, hair etc off, blow with some compressed air, shot of Isoclene for luck. It took a couple of goes to get the ribbon connector in the right place and lo and behold - it has been working fine now for 4 days! I know this thread is old but it may help someone. I too was dismayed at the price of a UK replacement keyboard and was about to try one of the low cost compatible units from ebay. I can only assume that the years of crud had caused local hotspots.
Options

1 Posts

06-26-2013

United States

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 9 of 9

2013-06-26, 14:17 PM

Misery loves company.  I have the same problem.  I am not typing on my Lenovo 3000 laptop at this time.  It is too frustrating.  :smileymad::smileymad: I think that Lenovo should give us a new laptop.  I have tried cleaning the keyboard, even thought it wasn't dirty and the problem continues.  I have one additional problem: when I type a question mark, I get _? and when I type a backslash, I get -/   When typing letters in ALL CAPS, I get 5B for B and 6N for N.  When capitalizing with the ALL CAPS down, I get %B for B and ^N for N.  

I want a new laptop!  Unless Lenovo does something to fix this, I will not be buying another Lenovo.  THAT'S FOR SURE.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms