Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

04-11-2010

New Jersey, USA

29 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo N22 WinBook - SD Card Is Dismounted After Cold Boot

2017-03-12, 23:15 PM

Just received, an am setting up an N22 WinBook. Some reviewers noted issues with the SD card occcasionally dismounting, and it looks like I've been bitten by this at the worst time. From what I read here this is a generic issue with the Yoga tablets and the S100.

To expand the built-in storage I have put a lot of portable apps on an SD card that I had intended to permanently mount. If I insert the card while the system is running, everything is fine; I have copied oddles of gigabytes of stuff back and forth without a hiccup.

The problem is when the N22 boots with the SD card already inserted. After leaving the Windows 10 user login page, the screen goes black with only a mouse cursor visible, and stays that way indefinitely. If I force a reboot once or twice, the system eventually boots normally and the SD card is there as expected. On such an occasion I can check the system event log corresponding to the black-screen hang. There are endless entries in which the system is waiting to access Sector 0 of the SD card and it isn't there. Woops.

So, I guess, the problem is "N22 dismounts inserted SD card during boot". I'm using a PNY Class 10, 32 GB micro SD card.

Suggestions? Incompatible SD card? Driver issue? BIOS issue? Hardware (card reader) issue that can't be solved?

Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 26243
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo N22 WinBook - SD Card Is Dismounted After Cold Boot

2017-03-14, 11:39 AM

Hello M_a_schuster

Thanks for using the Lenovo forums.

Seems to be a weird problem indeed, if it was SanDisk SD card, I would not be surprised.

Try a static discharge for this, it may help to resolve the issue or at least get rid of any built up static on the motherboard.

(If the battery is internal, please just skip the remove/replace battery steps.)
1. Turn the unit off
2. Remove the battery and the Mains adapter
3. Press and hold the front power button for 30 seconds
4. Replace the battery and the Mains adapter
5. Turn the unit on as normal

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Pesszimistának lenni a legjobb, vagy igazad van, vagy kellemesen meglepődsz...
Options

11 Posts

04-11-2010

New Jersey, USA

29 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-03-15, 19:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the maneuver with holding down the power switch. You realize, of course, that the N22 battery cannot be removed without disassembly.

The problem persists.

As an experiment I booted a live Linux system from USB, with the SD card mounted from powerup. The card was mounted without problem.

This makes one suspect that it is a driver/BIOS issue. The N22 uses an Intel SD card controller and runs the generic Microsoft drivers which date to 2006, and I can't find any others to try.

Options

7 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-06-23, 13:36 PM

I found that the N22 Winbook does not support newer Class 10 SD cards in the SD slot - only Class 4 (or lesser). Once I switched to a Class 4, all worked well. Too bad nobody at Lenovo knew to tell me this!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms