cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spookie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,053
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo N500 keyboard/ numbers instead of letters/with new keyboard installed/Resolved!!

I thought I would share my recent adventure with a 3000 N500 I have. The laptop was special ordered with Xp Pro on it. I uninstalled and installed Ubuntu, worked great. At some point my wife spilled some soda onto the page up and down keys, resutling in those keys not working. Recently I purchased her another latop and decided to reinstall Windows Xp Pro on the N500 for use with some camera software I have.

I decided to go ahead and order another keyboard from Amazon, for 21 bucks. I wiped the drive and used an OEM Xp Pro to reinstall windows. I was having some issues with sound and modem drivers and decided to go ahead and install SP3 on it to help out with the high def install of drivers. That worked great, but when I recieved the new keyboard Tuesday and install it, I noticed that some dual number letter keys were inputting numbers. I googled and was brought here where a number of posters stated several programs might be the cause. I searched and these programs WERE'NT installed on this, due to a clean install of OEM windows. This took me back to suare one, why. I'm very proficiant in PC's having built many custom machines and assisted others in repair. I decided to test the keyboard by using an flash drive with Linux on it. The keyboard worked like a champ, so that narrowed the issue to windows pr software inside it.

Booting back to windows I started thinking that possibly an update inside SP3. I removed SP3 and rebooted and the keyboard worked great, no errors. Sooo at this point, I installed SP2 to get more up to date on the system. Keyboard still works great at this point, but now the modem and the audio are complaining about driver packs.That was resoved with the install of the high def pack from Microsoft without installing SP3.

I'm posting this to let everyone know, there may be a possibility of an update in SP3 that may be causing keyboard errors. I haven't taken the time to narrow which update, since mine is now working fine, but be aware this conflict may exist.  This SP3 issue may be something that Lenovo needs to explore to head off issues as SP3 is forced onto users to get the high def update for audio. 

The short story is, if you removed IDvault or GuardID and are still have issues, you might try removing SP3 thru add/remove programs. Reboot and see if the key board starts to funtion properly.

>>BE AWARE!!<< removing SP3 may remove needed drivers causing devices to stop working. So good luck, hope this helps others. 

spookie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,052
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo N500 keyboard/ numbers instead of letters/with new keyboard installed/Resolved!!

I forgot to mention, this conflict DOESN'T effect an external usb keyboard, just the installed keyboard. I will monitor this thread for awhile and will assist if possible, thanks.

RogerBurchett
Paper Tape
Views: 822
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo N500 keyboard/ numbers instead of letters/with new keyboard installed/Resolved!!

I just did a clean install of WinXP SP2 on a 3000 N100 from the original restore CD. Everything appeared fine after installing SP3.

I went on to install several system drivers and support applications.

Then as soon as I installed the Lenovo Hotkey driver, I noticed some of the letter keys return digits , e.g. "R" > "6".

I tried uninstalling it using add/remove programs, but that didn't help.

An external USB keyboard works OK.

How can I back out of this problem?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors