Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sachlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,425
Message 1 of 20

Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

I have a lenovo Y410 14.1" laptop with 2GB RAM, T5250 processor.

The OS is Windows vista premium.

Ever since I bought it, its been shutting down after prolonged use, sometimes as less than 1 hr.

I have tried using laptop coolong pads, which helps. But the m/c gets heated up again as soon as I switch off the cooler.

Can anybody tell me about the root-cause of the problem ? OR is it an inherent problem with the product ?

Thanks

Sachin

Highlighted
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,406
Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

Use HWmonitor pro and see what temp your cpu is running at, you can download it off the web. If you still got warranty you can send it back and fix it for you.
Solvan
802.11n
Views: 13,383
Message 3 of 20

I have a Y410 as well since June 2008. So far, I haven't got any issues with overheating, it's just warm sometimes on left wrist pad area when typing. But, I guess it is normal since the hard disk might be located below it. Hence, it is not common for Y410 to overheat without apparent reason.

I could only surmise the reason for overheating would be faulty CPU fan or blocked heat exhaust outle, perhaps blowing the dusts out will help. Also, check if it overheats when using only the battery, it might be bad power supply or the adapter/charger cord has broken wires at the joints causing short circuits and affecting the power being supplied to the laptop.

Hope this help.

sachlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,377
Message 4 of 20

Thanks for the inputs .. i have tried all of thes things.

External cooling is the only thing thats helping currently..

Any other suggestions or observations

Thanks again

Sachin

Solvan
802.11n
Views: 13,362
Message 5 of 20

By any chance, the system was overclocked(running the CPU at higher speed  than its rated speed). This is putting an additional heat load on your computer too.

If not, and you're having this problem from the beginning then it might be due defective wire connections or some exposed wires touching other metal components inside the laptop causing shortings. As suggested by our member colleague, wjli2, you need to have it checked and fixed by an authorized Lenovo service center in your area.

ckhown
Punch Card
Views: 13,337
Message 6 of 20

dear friends,

Recommended you install a free software monitoring temperature of cpu/hardisk/board (Maximum temperature for CPU is 100c). and make sure your cpu fan is working

You have to clean your CPU Fan and Heatsink frequently, as mentions by our friends, if dusted CPU fan and cooling component block will reduce laptop performances/ or damage. lenovo laptop is very easy to open and clean the cooling component for your processors, just 2 screw at bottom. Please refer to this lenovo link to guide u on video, please choice under Y400 / Removal Replacement and under CPU fan... u can find out how to open the cover of cpu fan and u can clean it easly.  http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/Y300_Y400/index.html

Message Edited by ckhown on 09-23-2008 07:58 PM
Nicholas K.H.Chai
Malaysia
YM: ckhown
sachlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,294
Message 7 of 20

I have installed HWmonitor and am monitoring  the temperatures now.

what should be there operating temp normally and under load... what should be th temp at shut down ?

Is there any chance that softwares like SKYPE (chat) could be the reason ... if not skype then are there any othr s/w I should keep a watch on..

many thanks

Sachin

Message Edited by sachlenovo on 09-24-2008 08:57 PM
ckhown
Punch Card
Views: 13,276
Message 8 of 20

Dear friends,

The skype software doest not make your sistem overheat.

Have you checked your CPU Fan and CPU heatzink is clean ?

Please check your system is no virus effected, because some virus make your softaware keep loading and nonstop and your CPU usage will be full load and make your system overheat.

System automatic shutdown due to overheat is to protect your hardware damage.

If your system in idle mode, CPU usage should be in 0% - 10% and in this condition, CPU will not overheat. U can also check software usage/loading in Windows Task managerr/Process short on CPU.

Nicholas K.H.Chai
Malaysia
YM: ckhown
sachlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,113
Message 9 of 20

Thanks Friends ..

I took 2 measures as suggested by you all:

1) Installed a Temperature monitoring program

2) Cleaned the fan assembly/ heat sink of my laptop ... there were carpet fibers deposited on the heat sink ...

Now the average temperaure is 40-45 deg C and while gaming its between 55-58... so no more abrupt shutdowns ..

Thanks for all the tips and the service videos ..

Sachin

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,069
Message 10 of 20

not that bad, my friend opened up his laptop and found two dead cockroaches.....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors