Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vietnamkid
What's DOS?
Views: 3,942
Message 11 of 20

Re: Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

I have the exact same problem.  Overheating from the left side of the computer.  It gets worse when I play a video game or when it is streaming video.  Additionally, the touchpad is dead.  The computer frequently shuts itself off when it overheats.  The fan still works.

Anyone have a fix or is this a manufacturing defect?

axelshift
Paper Tape
Views: 3,902
Message 12 of 20

I haven't encountered my Y410 shutting down due to heating after long hours of operation. I actually left mine running nearly 24 hours (slept through the night without turning it off but it was scanning for viruses and I expected it to be very long). I think at normal operations even at High Performance, it is really heating at first but cools down even if charging. When playing games, the GPU heats up fastly because of 3D graphics processing and the fan is struggling to dissipate the heat. I played Sims 2 here and it was breathing really hot air. Other than that, it did not even shut down.

It makes me think that maybe it's a safety feature for the laptop so that it will lessen the chance of component damage due to heat. Smiley Very Happy

dharmeshmahajan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,404
Message 13 of 20

Man I telll you I did every possible thing I was able to do to resolve this issue...My PC's performance drained out & it was like hell as it started crashing in 5 minutes interval smetime & than I started to get BSOD.

Just by chance I opened the Laptop fan cover & was shocked. Here are the pics shared so that you can start trusting me....

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6znAjRm89H7wTsPio-vEJA?feat=directlink 

Now first thing you will do is to open it & clean it. My heat sink was choked with junk (Dust & hairy thread like stuff). Not suggested if you have warranty running but if in case that is over....just get right pair of screw driver & open the tab. You will love me for this suggestion. For better idea of how to do that....follow the suggestion given by Mark_Lenovo. Infact I am also thankful to him for giving better direction to accomplish the task. Thanks Mark...

Cheers

Dharmesh 

Message Edited by dharmeshmahajan on 07-28-2009 07:38 PM
Former Administrator
Views: 3,390
Message 14 of 20

All,

I previously posted some pics and advice on this as well.  They may be helpful in cleaning out the dust and ensuring cool operation of your system.

Best regards,

Mark

vietnamkid
What's DOS?
Views: 3,361
Message 15 of 20

Mark,

Thank you!  I used the fix you posted and the heat from my laptop has been greatly reduced.  It's not running as cool as when I purchased it, but I can use it on my lap once again.  The top of the computer is still putting off some heat and bothers my wrists.  The touchpad is dead - probably from the heat.  I am using an external mouse.

Thanks again,

VNK

rhonielagoo
What's DOS?
Views: 3,053
Message 16 of 20

got the overheating problem ,  thanx a lot for the tips it save my time to go at your service center . now i can use again my laptop.  regards. niel

firebld
Paper Tape
Views: 2,980
Message 17 of 20

the overheatingRe: Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

i have the overheating problem.. so i open-up the fan portion (using philip screw driver.. simple job) and discover the dusk that clog the fan oulet.. after the cleaning .. walllaaaa.. the notebook never overheated again...

Arkajyoti27
What's DOS?
Views: 1,668
Message 18 of 20

Re: the overheatingRe: Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

I too have the same problem of shutting down of Y410 laptop. It works really fine when i surf the internet or watch movies. But when I try to play a game, the pc shuts down suddenly without notification. I purchased a laptop cooler and tried to put my lappy over dat, but in vain. The problem is getting more and more intense nowadays and it shuts down if i run 2 to 3 programs simultaneously. But the problem is still prevalent. Iam a hardcore gamer and my playing is halted with this kind of issue. Nowadays, if I watch movies along with scanning of da system, the issue arises. Is this too due to overheating??? What should i do??? Iam really afraid of opening my laapy with screw driver, as iam not expert in these. Please please help as soon as you can. Thank you.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,627
Message 19 of 20

Re: the overheatingRe: Lenovo Y410 shuts down after getting overheated

Hi Arkajyoti27,

Hope this community knowledge base article can help you.

Lenovo 3000 Fan & Heat cleaning - N100 example

Cheers,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Keiki
Paper Tape
Views: 999
Message 20 of 20

I seem to have a more severe problem and would appreciate any insight into how to fix this myself. The touchpad started overheating this morning with a serious burnt plastic smell. The fan and heat sink were thoroughly cleaned out 2 months ago, and when I took it apart just now there was barely any dust there. The touchpad got so hot part of the surface became crinkled. The hard drive looked ok from the bottom...but there were two thick wire-like objects on the underside of the touchpad that looked like they were the culprits of this problem. I have no idea what they are or what they do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors