Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tavone
Not applicable
Views: 841
Message 1 of 7

M5400 shut down problem

Hello , 

I bought 1 month ago a Lenovo Essentia M5400 i3 and i have a problem , it doesnt happen all the time , but when it happens is very very anoying . 

I am using Win 7 x64 and sometimes when i push shut down, the laptop is freezing on the final screen "Shutting down" , i let it like this hours and the laptop doesnt not shut down.

After a while the screen is going black , but the ON / OFF button is still green , and you can hear the laptop working . 

The only solution to close the laptop is to push the ON/OFF button for a few second . 

I didnt found any solution on this forum for this problem , i saw that also others have it . 

Thanks . 

PS: Lenovo Romania answer to my problem is to send it back to them ... but from what i saw other guys that did the same thing didnt get back the laptop with the problem solved. 

Thanks 

Lenovo Essential M5400: i3 4000m 2.4 ghz , 4gb ddr3, 500gb+8gb ssh, nvidia geforce gt 740m
Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 828
Message 2 of 7

Re: M5400 shut down problem

From what you have described it sounds like some application or piece of software isn't closing like it should when Windows is shutting down. Are you getting any pop up boxes that shows what is waiting to close ?  Otherwise try to trouble shoot the problem can be difficult especially since it is not happening all the time.

If the laptop worked without any problems when you first received it you might consider doing a One Key Recovery.  That process will reinstall Windows and return it back to the same condition it was when you first received it.  The downside is the recovery process will completely erase your Windows operating system so you will have to back up any important files you want saved, re-install any software that you installed and you will have to do all the Window Updates that were released since the computer was new.  Page #18 of your model's User Guide will explain how to do the One Key Recovery.  Here is a link to that User Guide.....

http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b5400_m5400_ug_en.pdf

You can create a desktop shortcut to shut down Windows.  The shortcut will stop any processes that failed to shut down when Windows wants to end.  Unfortunately the shortcut won't fix the problem application or software, just stop it from interfering with the shutdown.

To create a short just right click your mouse on a blank part of the screen and choose New from the menu and then select Shortcut.  Then type it...... shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f  in the location box.  Then choose next and give it a name like Windows Shut Down then click on Finish.  When you want to shut down the computer you just have to click on the desktop icon.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Tavone
Not applicable
Views: 824
Message 3 of 7

Thank you Majestic . 

I really dont understand what can be the problem  , i had the same Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my desktop and i didnt had this kind of problem . 

This situation is happening without to receive that pop-up box that is telling you that some apps are still working and you need to force them to shut down . 

I made a lot of test , but this problem is not happening all the time . Thats why i can not find what is wrong . 

Normally i am a friendly user of Windows , i mean , before shutting down , i close all the opened apps , and even in background (startup) i dont have many apps opened : antivirus, bluetooth and intel management apps . 

Lenovo Essential M5400: i3 4000m 2.4 ghz , 4gb ddr3, 500gb+8gb ssh, nvidia geforce gt 740m
Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 816
Message 4 of 7

This can happen regardless of how careful you are.  In your situation it is an intermittent quirk that is happening with Windows. 

One other possibility is that the Page File maybe corrupt.  If you boot your computer into Windows Safe Mode you can then delete the Page File which should be located in your C:\ folder.  The next time Windows is booted up it will recreate the Page File.  In order to view the Page File you will have go to Folder Options then select the View tab and select the Show Hidden Files and Folders

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Tavone
Not applicable
Views: 807
Message 5 of 7

What do you mean by Page File ?

Sorry for this question , but i dont know exactly whats this . 

Where i can find it exactly ? I saw that in C:\ . I can delete it only in Safe mode ?

Thanks again . 

Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 802
Message 6 of 7

The Page File is a hidden file that Windows uses as sort of an extended memory, During normal operations Windows reads and writes information to this file.  When the computer is shut down Windows will do some clean up with the Page File.  If the Page File is corrupt it maybe interfering with the shut down.

If you use Windows Explorer you can navigate to the C:\ folder of your hard drive.  The Page File is normally kept here and it is hidden from view.  Since it is consider a System File it can not be deleted unless you are in Windows Safe Mode.  If the Page File is hidden you will have to adjust your folder options to allow you to see hidden files as I explained earlier. 

Tavone
Not applicable
Views: 797
Message 7 of 7

Ok Majestic. 

Its clear now . 

I will try like this next time when i will have this issue .

Thanks for your advice. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors