Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gooper1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,229
Message 1 of 6

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error - Lenovo N580

I have had my Lenovo N580 for around 2 years now, and have had no major issues until this time. However, today, I boot up my laptop, and it starts to boot and displays the circle animation for a few seconds. After this, it crashes, giving me a BSOD that appears for a split second. I found the error to be "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION". This now happens every time I attempt to boot, including off a CD.

I haven't modified the internals of my laptop, and the error was almost random, because I shut my laptop down (after a session with no errors at all) and then around a half hour later, tried to boot it again with no luck. Safe Mode off the CD does not work (I can't even get to Safe Mode booting off the HDD). Even Lenovo Automatic Repair will crash with the same error.

I opened up my laptop, nothing appears to be broken. I've tried booting without any peripherals attached, to no avail.

Is there any solution to this?
gooper1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,167
Message 2 of 6

Re: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error - Lenovo N580

Can anyone help me with this?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,152
Message 3 of 6

That error you are receiving especially if it includes the 0x0000009c code is an indication of a possible hardware failure.  I would suggest you systematically go through your laptop and disconnect a hardware item one at a time and try booting it up.  Start with removing the optical drive for the test.  If you have more than one module of memory try removing one and booting.  Also try a single module in each memory slot.  Try removing your wireless LAN card as well.  If the computer boots without an error then suspect the last item you removed as being faulty.  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to remove each item.

The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual. When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_p580_p585_n580_n581_n585_n586_hmm_1st_editio...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

gooper1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,122
Message 4 of 6

I confirmed that it is not a RAM problem, if I insert the RAM into another laptop, it'll boot perfectly with no errors. But now I have another problem: the screen won't even turn on.
gooper1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,118
Message 5 of 6

I have already tried clearing charges from the board (holding down power without battery or AC) to no avail. As well, it won't even show things on a (working) external monitor - any way I can get BIOS to show things there?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,106
Message 6 of 6

Did you try using just one memory module in each slot with turning on in between the swaps?

If you remove all the hardware from the computer such as the hard drive, optical drive, memory, wifi card, etc is there any change in the display?

If not, your original error message may have been for the graphics which has now died.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors