Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saira172
Blue Screen Again
Views: 354
Message 1 of 2

Monitor display settings lost after update :(

Recently set up sparkly new laptop V330 15iKB. Everything was fine and dandy! Display settings (which were working wonderfully for around 24 hours) below:

Display

Type15.6"
LCD Backlight TechnologyLED backlight
Resolution1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
WidescreenYes
Image Aspect Ratio16:9
Image Brightness220 cd/m²
FeaturesAnti-glare

I updated Windows, then I used Lenovo bridge to update the drivers it said I needed to update and then restarted (with hindsight maybe I should have restarted after each change but I didn't)

When it started up again the initial splash screen looks fine and normal - then windows kicks in and the display switched to the top left corner of the screen. After much checking I'm pretty sure the problem is because Windows thinks I have a "generic flat panel 1024 x 768" display.

***I've used hdmi to connect to a different monitor and the display is perfect and all as it should be***

I've tried - updating graphics card drivers via Intel

- went into display settings but 1024 x 768 is the best resolution offered

- went to device manager and tried to force it to find new hardware, it didn't

- system restore to a time before I applied the updates

- reinstalled windows

- restored to factory default settings

- used Windows Support Assistant

Nothing has helped.

I've asked 3 tech heads for advice locally who have offered suggestions and one has been to have a fiddle but not found any answer. 

I've been googling madly assuming someone else must have had the same problem but nothing I can see as yet Smiley Sad

I don't understand why restoring to factory defaults hasn't worked unless there was a patch applied which didn't make it to the partition.

I've tried to chat to the support people but ... Christmas and New Year ugh!

I've tried to "email" but with only 200 characters per box I suspect they'll have problems getting the full picture.

Anyone else have any ideas of things I can try? I think I'm probably looking for a driver for my monitor which has become lost/corrupted but don't know where to find that.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Saira172
Blue Screen Again
Views: 324
Message 2 of 2

Re: Monitor display settings lost after update :(

This is now solved! Just in case anyone else has this problem too. I had to get a clean copy of windows from Microsoft. Saved it to a USB and ran from there. I used Belarc to get the windows serial number first though actually we didn't need it as it was saved in the BIOS. Then had to reinstall all the drivers through Device Manager.

A bit of a pain  - definitely won't be using Lenovo Bridge again, if they put out a critical/urgent update then they should have at least tested it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals