Did you mean: 
kaanki
Paper Tape
Views: 1,868
Message 1 of 5

N100 USB Power problem..

Hi,
My Lenovo is N100 Model..
I'm having problem with usb discs. I was using 160 GB USB disc. After lenovo I couldn't use my disc.
I think its usb's power is not enough to  start disc. 80 GB works, 120 GB works. But 160 GB doesn't work.
What can I do for it?

thanks..
RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 1,860
Message 2 of 5

Re: N100 USB Power problem..

If that is an external disk, they normally come with a Y-splitter cable, that you have to put into two USB connectors on your laptop to get enough power. If that still does not work, you'll have to get a 5V adapter to supply the required power for that disk.
One USB port only supplies 500mA, so 2 would give 1A, but a 160GB probably needs more.
kaanki
Paper Tape
Views: 1,849
Message 3 of 5

Hi again,

Yes  I have a y-splitter cable. Although I use it  my problem is the same. You say it needs more power. But I tried to use it with other notebooks and success. We have another notebook hp. I can use my disc on it  and don't have any problem.

There  are 4 usb ports on case. But  in Device manager I see  5 usb information.I looked out that on N100 fingerprint and webcam use usb resources.  Can my problem be about it?

I say again I can use my disc with other notebooks...

Please help..

In any case I'll have to leave from my disc and I can never use big discs....

RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 1,836
Message 4 of 5

Try removing the other USB devices, and also try using different ports.
In Device Manager, check the USB Root Hub properties, under the Power tab.
It tells you there how much power is required/available for the plugged-in device.
Let us know what you find with the 160GB plugged in.
johngie
Punch Card
Views: 1,712
Message 5 of 5

I have a similar thread to this - at first I thought it was the portable drive (Seagate) at fault, but it wasn't. (Worked on an HP laptop). Eventually I got it to work, but there really does seem to be a power issue with these computers. It's very flaky, and I found that when accessing a CD at the same time, the portable HD died.

The Seagate came as standard with a split USB cord. I've seen others (e.g. Freecom) that have a single USB lead. Does that mean they demand less power than the Seagate?

A response from a Lenovo person would really help here!

John

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors