Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miki84bgd
Paper Tape
Views: 344
Message 1 of 3

New V310-15ISK incapable of wi-fi

I just bought the aforementioned laptop. Installed win 8.1 to test it, all worked fine but the wifi.

It does not see any wireless networks with that system, just few troubled device drivers and one Unknown device.

After that I installed the latest version of Ubuntu to see if wifi works. It doesn't either. I can turn wifi on and off, but it keeps disabled. After few vain attempts to activate it using online tutorials i opened Ubuntu terminal to check all my PCI devices using the lspci command. The lspci returned the following devices:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 1921 (rev 0a)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d10 (rev f1)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265] (rev 83)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042 (rev 30)

(end of results)

Onr more thing I did in the ubuntu terminal is iwconfig which returned the following:

wlp3s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSIDSmiley Surprisedff/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thrSmiley Surprisedff   Fragment thrSmiley Surprisedff
          Power ManagementSmiley Surprisedn

enp2s0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

(end of results)

I also checked Ubuntu drivers, and it also finds an Unknown Device. Not sure if it is a wifi adapter.

Attempts to get a driver do not help on either operaating systems. Is my laptop factory defected?

Moderator comment: Subject clarified.

Guru
Views: 336
Message 2 of 3

Re: New V310-15ISK incapable of wi-fi

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I  don't have much experience with Linux, just with Windows on this machines.

If Windows Device Manager does not sees the wireless adapter (or an unknown device) it may mean that the device is faulty or disconnected.

For what  you have posted, it seems to me that on Linux the device is being recognize "03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042 (rev 30)". But I don't know how to install that driver on Linux.

It may mean that the device is recognized and turned on, but if even with the right driver is installed and it is not working it may mean that is a fautly wiress card hardware.

My next step would be to try to get a different card and open up the machine and try changing it, but it depends if you feel confortable open up a laptop.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

miki84bgd
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 3 of 3

Re: New V310-15ISK incapable of wi-fi

Hello and thanks for this fast reply. Note that it was some old Win 8.1 dvd that I just used to test the machine. As it is an unsupported OS noe,  I am going to try it under Win 10 too tomorrow before claiming a warranty.

Also forgot to say that I made sure it is enabled in BIOS. Interestingly though, on one of the steps I found under Win8 the wifi  was Disabled in services.msc configuration, but enabling it didn't make any change.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors