Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekano
Paper Tape
Views: 4,857
Message 1 of 2

Noisy fan on Lenovo 3000 N200

Hi,

I have had my Lenovo 3000 N200 for a week now. So far im happy with it. But ive noticed how the fan goes in intervals up and down very often. Have you noticed this also? Read about it in a review http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...ew=Lenovo+N200 where it is described as the fan has "ADHD".

Sometimes (like now) Ive heard the fan go constantly (not max but still going so you can hear it) for about half an hour.

I guess its manufactured that way... or do you think its bad or wrong if it goes up and down like that? This is my first laptop so I dont have any experinces regarding this area.

Since this is my first laptop Ive no experience regarding how much the fan should go/sound. But is it normal that you can hear it while youre working at your computer?

The machine was pre-installed with Vista and i have tweaked it a little but still its not a very good OS for this machine I can tell.

I have plans on installing XP (saw on Lenovos homepage that its compitable with XP) and I have read about it on forums something about that you have to creat a install disc with SATA-drivers.

Thanks

Ekano
Highlighted
Phil_L
Punch Card
Views: 4,837
Message 2 of 2

Re: Noisy fan on Lenovo 3000 N200

Hi

It is normal to hear the fan running, it shouldn't be loud but a wooshing sound is normal.

Window Vista does a lot of background stuff (far too much in my opinion) so your laptop runs hot.  The fan will hardly be on with Windows XP (make sure you select the Portal/Laptop power scheme in XP to get even cooler running).

To slip stream the ACHI drivers for SATA you will need the F6 install files from Intel, the Intel Storage Matrix driver page has info about getting these files.  To slip stream them into Windows XP Google for NLite.

The easiest way though is to go into the BIOS and set the hard-drive to Standard IDE, install Windows XP, then install the Intel Matrix drivers, reboot and set the BIOS back to ACHI.  There isn't really much difference in performance between standard and ACH I modes.

Regards

Phil

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors