Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithsha
What's DOS?
Views: 3,545
Message 1 of 6

Not very green to replace keyboard for a single keycap

Hi,

My 3000 N100 0768 DKU laptop keyboard had a keycap pop off and get lost. The key works fine by pressing the actuator but now lacks the "W" keycap and hinged mount to facilitate typing. The only option I seem to find is replacing the entire working keyboard for this little part. Expensive repair and not very environmentally sound policy of not having parts availblility for the most mechanically used portion of the system.

Any suggestions other than stealing someones W?

thanks

K#

3000 N100 0768 DKU

patamia
Punch Card
Views: 3,534
Message 2 of 6

Re: Not very green to replace keyboard for a single keycap

Hi keithsha,

No its not very green.  If you google for the replacement part price of a keyboard on your machine you will likely find a price just over $30 US.  Its not much in the scheme of things.  OTOH the cost of keeping inventory of the keys and shipping them out individually is disproportionate to this.  I am guessing that it just does not pay.  If there were a disposal cost of the replaced item to consider maybe individual keys would be more accessible.  As it is you will probably find that Lenovo will not even ask for the old keyboard back if they replace it.

I went through three keyboards on my last laptop and all of them because I wore out or lost individual keys.  I suspect this is widespread.  Two of those times it was a warranty replacement and I was told they did not want the replacement back.  Different brand -- similar experience.
Lenovo 3000 N100 (configuration 0768A2U) as follows: CPU T7200(2GHz), 1GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD (WSXGA), 128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX Go7300, CDRW/DVDRW, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, IEEE 1394, Fingerprint reader, Camera, Windows Vista Home Premium, BIOS ver 2.05
bottecchia
Paper Tape
Views: 3,531
Message 3 of 6

I had the exact same problem, but with a different key.  I searched far and wide on the web for a source of replacement keycaps, new or used, and couldn't find any.  Then I called Lenovo customer service to see what they could do about this.  Turns out they don't sell keycaps either.  I suggested that since I wasn't in a rush, they might be able to put in a request that one of their repair guys salvage a keycap for me the next time they had to go out and replace a bad keyboard, but they didn't buy that idea either.  After a good bit of discussion, they decided that since my machine was still under warranty, they would just send me a new keyboard.  And they did.  So, if you are still under warranty, that's one option.  Another, if you are patient, is for you to post messages on this board and some other places (like the freecycle group in your area), asking someone with a dead keyboard of the right sort to save you that keycap when they get their keyboard replaced.

This could be a nice small-home-business idea for someone: a laptop keyboard transplant bank.  They might accept donations of dead laptop keyboards from anyone willing to spend the postage to mail one in.  Making a donation might entitle the donor to a certain number of free keycaps in the future, if available when needed.  Others would be charged a few dollars.

Good Luck
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,521
Message 4 of 6

bottecchia wrote:
Another, if you are patient, is for you to post messages on this board and some other places (like the freecycle group in your area), asking someone with a dead keyboard of the right sort to save you that keycap when they get their keyboard replaced.

There's a thriving Marketplace at thinkpads.com which would be your best bet for finding just the right keyboard.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 3,515
Message 5 of 6

This guy on eBay sells individual keys
keithsha
What's DOS?
Views: 3,403
Message 6 of 6

Thanks very much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Great business, $35 keyboard with 84 keys sold at $5 each = $385 gross margin. :-) 

K#

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors