Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-25-2010

Planet Earth

5 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 3

Problems with fresh XP installation

2010-02-25, 22:14 PM

Hi there everyone!

I have Lenovo 3000 N100 0768 and I recently had some problems with Windows so I had to format my C drive and make a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2.

After I installed XP, my notebook is "another person" compared to what it used to be. From the first look, I see the following problems:

- I only have 800 x 600 px and 1024 x 768 px screen resolution, although there were other resolutions before;

- My Display Properties show (Default Monitor) which looks suspicious to me;

- In Network Connections, I don't have Wireless Network Connection anymore and my notebook can't access internet through my router anymore;

- In Device Manager, I have a big question mark beside Other Devices: Base System Device, Foxconn Bluetooth..., Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus, Network Controller and SM Bus Controller... which seems to me that there's a drivers issue;

Sound works fine, as I can hear.

Can anyone please help me with this? This notebook was working like a charm before I re-installed Windows.

Any help is strongly appreciated.

Thanks and all the best!

Luffy

Options

86 Posts

01-04-2010

Des Moines

192 Signins

1160 Page Views

• Views: 1160
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Problems with fresh XP installation

2010-02-26, 1:16 AM

Yes - Windows XP won't automatically install the drivers for your Video, wireless, sound, etc.  You need to manually find these drivers.  If you would have burned your restore disks when you first got your computer you could have restored everything back the way it was when you first got your machine. 

If you aren't expeirenced in finding drivers I would ask for help.  You should be able to download all the appropriate drivers for your machine off of Lenovo's website.  Most of them are just programs that you execute after you download them.  Once you have downoaded the drivers and run them - go into the Control Panel under System and Device drivers to see if it installed properly. You will then have to configure your display to the native resolutions - put in any security settings into your wireless card, etc. 

This isn't hard - but is somewhat time consuming.  Windows 7 is much better at finding all the drivers automatically if you have it connected to a network and will do this for you automatically.  XP isn't quite as smart and only loads generic drivers.  That is why you are seeing lower screen resolutions, etc.  

Hope this helps. 

Options

3 Posts

02-25-2010

Planet Earth

5 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Problems with fresh XP installation

2010-02-28, 23:09 PM

than you very much, you helped me alot!

works like a charm now!

cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms