Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sausage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,294
Message 1 of 12

RAM upgrade and M.2 SSD upgrade on V310-15ISK (and onelink connector)

Hi,

I just bought the v310-15ISK with model number: 80SY02MMSC. It has 6th gen i7, 8GB(4dim, 4 soldered) ram, amd r5 m430 2GB graphics, 120GB sata SSD in M.2 bay and 1TB hard drive. 

I have some questions but to start with RAM. I have read other posts but none do finalize for me what can I do regarding RAM upgrade. Intel for my CPU says 32GB max, Lenovo says 12GB max(with 8GB module added) and some say that on kingston and crucial says 16 GB max. I'm confused. I had 16GB of ddr3 in my, now dead, laptop and i want to eventually reach the same for the sake of productivity applications like Photoshop, premiere, virtualisation ... And with all 3 different answers not clearing up for me. First, I find 4GB soldered dumb, but what can I do with this laptop beeing very good for it's price range compared to others here in my country. Then with 8GB stick added, I would have 12GB with Lenovo specifications beeing happy but having myself unsatisfied, wanting 16GB. Then "trying to obay crucial and kingston" to have 16GB max would mean to add 12GB module that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. Then Listening to Intel would mean adding a 16GB stick and ending up with 20GB. Not a problem but I might end up running into BIOS or other problems for my computer to ignore "too much ram". So what should I do?

Now I'm perfectly happy with SSD that it came with but as it beeing in an M.2 slot, would that mean that I could replace it with M.2 PCIe SSD and would work faster or is the M.2 connector used just for connection purpuses and only using SATA interface and no PCIe?

And last. Does ANYONE have any experience or knowledge on ONELINK connector / hub?. All that I know from research that my machine DOES have it, it then "supports" it but from onelink dock presentations and wiki's and lenovo sites I can only see Carbon and other Thinkpad laptops listed as supported computers. So, would it work wiht mine as it has the connector but not listed? 

Thank you for your time reading my concerns and I thank you for your comments on this discussion.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,292
Message 2 of 12

Re: RAM upgrade and M.2 SSD upgrade on V310-15ISK (and onelink connector)

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/Lenovo%20V310%20(15_)/Lenovo_V310_15ISK_15I...

You have the optional 4GB soldered and 1 memory socket. 16GB max.

You could add 8GB in the socket and have 12GB of memory. 

Wonder if you could add 16GB in the socket and have 20GB max??? Someone else would have to confirm if this works.

Crucial shows 20GB max for V310-15IKB.

Sausage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,285
Message 3 of 12

Yes, I saw that document as well but it confuses me as to having 16GB max with optional 4GB soldered but all these "cheaper" systems come with 4GB soldered and not just Lenovo. So then it is only way to have 12GB and no more?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,278
Message 4 of 12

See my updated post above, ie. crucial.com.

You could call crucial for clarification.

Sausage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,273
Message 5 of 12

Well, mine is 15ISK not 15IKB and i don't really know the difference as there is a million of different configurations of these machines. Well, it looks like i'm going to get myself a 16GB module when I get my salary and if it works or not, I will update the post and if it doesn't, i'm just going to return the module. Thank you for your comments. Now just waiting for some onelink and ssd related ideas. Thanks.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,255
Message 6 of 12

ISK is Intel 6th generation; IKB is Intel 7th generation. I was aware Crucial machine finder did not list your ISK.

32GB max from Intel is what the processor and memory hub chipset support, Not what the vendor (Lenovo) supports. 

Sausage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,250
Message 7 of 12

Oh well. I don't think that my RAM upgrade range exceeds 6th nor 7th gen cpu. I think that BIOS or the control ic is the barrier here and I wonder if it's the same at both models or it is better in IKB version and thus supports more RAM. Idk...
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,243
Message 8 of 12

Your parts list for a 80SY:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-v-series-laptops/v310-15isk/8...

I find pcie offerings:

5SD0L14643 128GB

5SD0L73444 256GB

I find a OneLink offering part 5C50L70681.

==

From the hardware maintenace manual, you can have SSD or PCIe, not both.

Page 77, item 15.  Page 91, item15.

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/v310_14isk-15isk_hmm_20160414.pdf

Another user may known if extra parts are needed to swap out SSD, add PCIe.

This is not clearly shown/stated in HMM. 

For clarificaion of memory, above 16GB max, call crucial as I stated earlier.  

Adding 8GB to existing 4GB soldered would be within spec.

If you wish to bring BIOS to current that would be your call.  I would leave BIOS alone for now. Try new memory install 1st.

Sausage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,697
Message 9 of 12

It's been some time since I posted this question. Since then I bought a 16GB stick of 2166MHz ram and my system is happy with full 20GB of ram. I still have stock ssd and haven't tried nvme but I doubt that I would upgrade as i'm not moving huge files all the time and that it wouldn't impact the performance as opening apps and boot time, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

Limitator
Paper Tape
Views: 3,437
Message 10 of 12

@Sausage,

Can you tell me what model did you get. I have the same laptop and would like to buy RAM that will actually work. 

All 16GB models I found  are "not sure if it fits you laptop model".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors