Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yudima
Paper Tape
Views: 1,432
Message 1 of 5

SSD Cache Slot Type for Lenovo K2450

Hi,

I have 1TB hdd on my Lenovo k2450. But it often feel slow when do extensive HDD reading/writing. I plan to buy an SSD and install OS there.

I see on the hardware manual that it has one ssd slot above WWAN port. I plan to buy an SSD and put it there. But I don't know what type of SSD should I buy? Is it mSATA or M2?

Thanks

Guru
Views: 1,395
Message 2 of 5

Re: SSD Cache Slot Type for Lenovo K2450

It's a Mini PCIe mSATA drive. Here's the one Lenovo uses in that machine: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM841-MZ-MTD1280-MZMTD128HAFV-00000-Module/dp/B00T7MV4AC

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

yudima
Paper Tape
Views: 1,383
Message 3 of 5

Hi Eric,

I read on this link about installing mSata on Lenovo notebook (although K2450 is not listed there). It says on "Chapter 2: Installing mSATA card"

The Wireless WAN card and the mSATA card cannot be installed in your computer at the same time. So if a wireless WAN card is installed in the computer, uninstall it before installing the mSATA card. After removing the Wireless WAN card, ensure that you wrap the antenna contacts with insulating tapes to avoid short circuit, and then put it at a proper place.

If wireless WAN card must be uninstalled if we decided to use mSATA SSD, does it mean that I cannot connect to Wireless LAN anymore?

Guru
Views: 1,374
Message 4 of 5

I'm not seeing any information on that, and Lenovo's service training videos have both the wireless card and mSATA installed. It looks like that document is for certain ThinkPad, but it could also apply to this machine, but Lenovo's service info doesn't specify. 

An additional thing, Lenovo's HMM says "WAN and SSD card": https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/k2450_hmm_en.pdf

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

yudima
Paper Tape
Views: 1,350
Message 5 of 5

Hi Erics,

I just bought Samsung mSATA SSD. But unfortunately, it doesn't fit into mSATA slot of Lenovo K2450. The SSD is too big. Here is the image. And I also want to confirm, that there is only one mSATA slot. So, if you have correct size SSD, you must uninstall WLAN card to install the SSD.

01a.jpg02.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors