Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmjeger
Paper Tape
Views: 229
Message 1 of 10

Second Hard Drive / Problem

I have this brand new Lenovo Thinkpad E580 laptop with a 500 gb NVMe SSD plus a 1 tb HDD.
When I first turned it on yesterday there were both there. Now the HDD is gone.
It is also gone in the Disk Management window.

I tried the BIOS and I only got this:
Is my HDD actually dead THAT quickly?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 195
Message 2 of 10

Re: Second Hard Drive / Problem

Hi pmjeger! Thanks for posting in our community. Were there any changes made prior to this case? Could you please press F9 to load the settings to default. Then F10 to save it. After that, check if the laptop will boot normally. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

pmjeger
Paper Tape
Views: 188
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for answering.
No, there weren't any changes made, though the day I first turned it on there was this strange noise that is no longer there.

I just did what you suggested and the HDD is still missing.
Last night after posting the quesiton I found in the BIOS that, for the HDD, the size is 0 GB and there's no information available (for the SSD all information seems to be in order).

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 180
Message 4 of 10

Hello pmjeger,

Thanks for writing back. Have you tried testing the hard drive on a different machine? It would also be worth to try re-seating the hard drive and make sure that connection isn't loose.

There is a high possibility that the hard drive is already defective if the above steps doesn't work and we recommend contacting the Lenovo Helpdesk specially if the computer is still under warranty.

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

pmjeger
Paper Tape
Views: 169
Message 5 of 10

I haven't tried the HDD in another machine (this is a brand new PC, I haven't opened it and I'd rather not do it for warranty issues).
Right now I'm at work. I can try re-seating the hard drive later although I don't really know how to do it.

Thanks for answering, I guess I should eventually try to contact Lenovo Helpdesk.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 154
Message 6 of 10

Hello pmjeger,

Thanks for writing back. As a reference, you can use this link https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505031?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 to find disassembly videos for your machine.

You can also use this link https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_e580_e585_hmm_en.pdf?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6%E2... to go to the hardware maintenance manual for additional help.

You may refer to the link below on how to contact our helpdesk:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

pmjeger
Paper Tape
Views: 138
Message 7 of 10

Ok, which part of that manual should I read in order to re set the hard drive?
I'll try first with the ideas that don't mean to open the computer.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 131
Message 8 of 10

Hi! Open the first link and look for the model of your laptop under the Thinkpad tab.

pmjeger
Paper Tape
Views: 130
Message 9 of 10

As I said before, I don't want to open up my computer yet.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 120
Message 10 of 10

I see. Update us how it goes then.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors