12-17-2008 08:37 AM
I bought recently a N500 without any OS. Because, I already own a Win XP SP2 on a bootable CD. I found a final solution to get Win XP SP2 completely installed with full satisfaction on the N500. I like to share my conclusion. In the following sequence I came to a fine running N500:
You should first collect all necessary drivers and patches which is needed for the N500. You will get all drivers from lenovo support site, which is in the meantime well known through this forum.
1. Get the Rescue and Recovery (tvtrnr42_1016gr) from lenovo support site.
2. Get the Lenovo System ToolBox (lst5setup_503224x86) from lenovo support site.
3. Get the ThinkVantage Access Connections (7vcx55ww) from lenovo support site.
4. The best way is to extract all drivers to a USB-Stick (>900MB). The extractions will create appropriate directories within a DRIVERS directory. I recommend to use them.
5. Get the Windows HDMI Update (KB888111xssp1) from Microsoft.
6. Get the WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2 from Microsoft.
7. Get the MSXML6.0 Parser from Microsoft.
8. Get the .NET Framenetwork (dotnetfx) from Microsoft.
9. Put all Microsoft packages to the USB Stick as well.
Now we have all components gathered and you can start the whole installation of the N500.
1. You need to set the hard disk option to IDE in the BIOS as already many times noted in this forum.
2. Boot in XP SP2 (!) with a Setup-CD - install the software in a usual manner.
3. As of much trouble of the audio, install the Windows HDMI Update. If you however installed SP3 this update will not work! After this installation Windows will initiate a new routine to find additional drivers.
3a. Navigate and click OK to the lenovo driver 52av02ww (Win Audio) in subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/AUDIO/52av02ww/XP32/.
3b. Navigate and click OK to the lenovo driver 52vk03ww (HDMI) in subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/52vk03ww/HDMI/.
3c. Navigate and click OK to the lenovo driver 52md04ww (Modem) in subdir /DRIVERS/MODEM/52md04ww/XP32/.
4. Now reboot.
5. Install the lenovo driver 52ch04ww (chipset) from subdir /DRIVERS/CHIPSET/52ch04ww/.
7. Install the lenovo driver 52lb01ww (Win LAN) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/LAN/52lb01ww/DrvInst/IA32/.
8. Install the lenovo driver 52wh02ww (Win WLAN) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/WLAN/52wh02ww/.
9. Now install the WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2 and MSXML6.0 Parser from Microsoft.
10. Install the lenovo driver 52wi07ww (Intel WLAN) from subdir /DRIVERS/WLAN/52wi07ww/XP/x32/Drivers/.
11. And for second part install the lenovo software 52wi07ww (Intel WLAN) from subdir /DRIVERS/WLAN/52wi07ww/XP/x32/Install/.
12. Install the lenovo software 52tp10ww (Touchpad) from subdir /DRIVERS/TOUCHPAD/52tp10ww/.
13. Now reboot.
14. Install the lenovo software 52vk03ww (Intel Graphics) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/52vk03ww/.
15. Install the lenovo software 52nx02ww (Nvidia) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/52nx02ww/.
16. Install the lenovo driver 52pn01ww (Lenovo Power Management) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/LPM/52pn01ww/.
17. Install the lenovo driver 52fl08ww (Cardreader) from subdir /DRIVERS/CARDREADER/52fl08ww/.
18. Install the lenovo driver 52ca10ww (Webcam) from subdir /DRIVERS/CAMERA/52ca10ww/.
19. Install the lenovo driver 52bm01ww (BlueTooth) from subdir /DRIVERS/WIN/52bm01ww/BTooth/. Acknowledge Logoff with yes and come back again.
20. Install MS .NET Framenetwork from Microsoft.
21. Install the lenovo software Lenovo System ToolBox, Rescue and Recovery and ThinkVantage Access Connections.
FINALLY - this works at me! I did a complete backup on CDs with Rescue and Recovery. And only then, I updated Windows with SP3 and all further MS updates - success ... yeah!
01-31-2009 04:08 AM
hello I'm wanting to do the same thing with the exception that there is Vista already on the computer. I have XP pro sp2 with licence key (never used). Would your way work or is there something else to do before?
thank you for a reply
02-01-2009 11:14 PM
I was trying to do the same thing but i failed. after i partitioned my hard drive i restarted my laptop but it wont boot, it doesnt go to BIOS and doesnt even do POST...please help.
If i download the rescue and recovery from lenovo support do you think it will help my laptop to boot?
02-18-2009 04:36 AM
Thank you Jossen for this very useful post.
I installed Xp without disable sata ahci mode:
I created a custom xp installation with nLite that contains Intel sata ahci driver and then followed instruction in your post.
Hope this is useful,
02-20-2009 09:21 AM
I've tried adding the AHCI driver to my XP install using NLite but I still get a Stop error. I must be missing something.
Is it the Chipset Driver from Lenovo's site or are you using another driver?
Is there a trick to getting the driver to load during the install?
Can you walk me thru the process?
02-20-2009 03:08 PM
you can follow this post:
03-30-2009 02:14 PM
I installed XP on my N500 m/c, every thingsworks fine except two things
1. Fn+F5 is not switching on Wireless radio
2. Lenovo Care button does nothing :-(
Please if help if you have a solution.Thanks in advance for your great help.
04-04-2009 06:39 AM
Hy all, I'm having a problem with this install. I created the NLite version of windows (ahci drivers included), succesfully installed it.
I can't solve the audio driver
(Driver Instalation failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver). Anny iddeas?
04-04-2009 08:26 AM
I'm still trying to install all the drivers, but The system does not recognise any modem, lan, wlan, audio or Bluetooth device. Strange fact is that in Device Manager all Sound, video and game controllers seem to be "working prperly". On Other devices (the only ones with the yellow question mark) The Bluetooth device, ethernet controller, Network controller, PCI device apear with the yellow question mark.
I installed an extra 1 gb RAM, but in an authorised service. Could it be that they touched something there that could cause so many devices to not be correctly installed?
PS: Windows HDMI Update (KB888111xssp1)..... where can I find this Update(could not find it o the net, even on Microsoft)
04-06-2009 01:27 AM
you have to start from an XpSp2 installation disk (or install Xp and then immediately sp2).
Then search for "kb888111xpsp2.exe" on the net and install that instead of "kb8...sp1.exe"