Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexHill
Blue Screen Again
Views: 707
Message 1 of 2

Unusual situation, display adapter Code 12 and Projector

Hi there,

So. I had a Compaq Presario CQ61, which recently died. I placed the hard drive into a friend's old laptop, a Lenovo 3000 N200 (type 0769). I'm on windows 7, which, much to my surprise, works. 

I often use a projector to teach, and while it worked just fien onw the Compaq laptop, when I plugged it in to this one, it didn't even recognise that the projector was connected. I tried rebooting both, making sure the connection was secure, but the Function shortcut to change display did nothing, nor did displayswitch.exe, or windows+P, or Display setting in the COntrol Panel - it just doesn't recognise it's there.

It seems have problems with your display adapters can cause this probem, which may be the cause in my case:

Under the 'Display Adapters' in the CP I have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation -WDDM 1.1) which features that little yellow error triangle. When I click properties, I get:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

But this is where it gets weird - when I check 'show hidden devices', I get a repeated entry for the graphics card. (I know for a fact there is only one.) So I guess my first question is, why are some devices hidden? What does that mean?

I have tried uninstalling and disabling one or both in all combinations, but nothing happens. Even when I uninstall them, they simply reinstalls successfully on restart, but then gets the same error. Both have up-to-date drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like resolving this error qould solve my projector troubles.

stigolar
What's DOS?
Views: 301
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unusual situation, display adapter Code 12 and Projector

I know it's an old one, but there may be others who encounter the problem.
There must be two versions of the graphics card and one is hidden. The problem is due to change of plaform - AMT, ATI, Intel and so on. The most likely cause is the driver for the PCI bus. Although it is the same chip it præcent it self with the name of the old driver.
See Devices and locate the PCI bus, it might be called something else eg. ati-PCI. See Details and go to Drivers and Details. Is ther listed two drivers? The one called psi.sys is MS's universal driver, it works all over. Click Update Driver and go to Windows / System32 / Drivers / pci.sys and click select. Restart the PC and the problem should be solved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors