Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,154
Message 1 of 12

V110-15ISK keyboard/trackpad

As the title says V110-15ISK keyboard/trackpad not working - these are brand new out of the box (i've had 3 out or 10 so far do this) so with no OS or bios modifications, any ideas I've tried holding power button for 15seconds as in this link for an unrelated lenovo device (figured it was worth a shot)

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/flex-15-keyboard-and-touchpad-suddenly-...

In fact one of the 3 that have decided to do this one has decided to do it after being able to use keyboard / trackpad to change bios setting then pxe boot the install windows 7 64bit in install drivers

edit: oh this 'feature' also appears to kill LAN capabilities although external USB keyboard works... (O_e)

edit2: also takes out wifi

edit3: set bios back to default with no success

edit4: updated BIOS to 1KCN37WW  still no change

bios version on this particular laptop I'm working on

BIOS: 1KCN29WW  1KCN37WW

EC: 1KEC01WW

any ideas any one?

(re-posted since original got deleted)

-ash

Them: "I don't do it often so I don't remember what to do."
Me: "I don't do it often either, I only do it when you forget what to do."
GavInAber
Paper Tape
Views: 2,022
Message 2 of 12

Re: V110-15ISK keyboard/trackpad

Hi,

I have almost the same issue. Had 3 - all wouldn't boot out of the box when pressing the power button. If you held it down for 10 secs, then release, then pressed again it would boot but fan on full speed and when booted, no touchpad, no keyboard, no LAN, no Wifi. Returned these to the supplier after a little hassle from Lenovo. 

The replacement 3 seems ok from the outset, and worked fine after a downgrade to Windows 7. These were then left, ready to be used at a later date. All these laptops now exhibit the same issue as the first batch, and I'm fighting Lenovo to get them authorised for refund (I really don't want these now after the issues I've had).

I have discovered that if you disconnect the battery internally, press and hold the power button for 30 + seconds, reconnect the battery and press the power button, laptop comes to life and behaves itself. How long this will last before you have to repeat the procedure is anyones guess, however. 

-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,018
Message 3 of 12

Yes!

I've done the same things too - I have manage to reset one with the "NOVO" button which seems to follow through and allow you to do stuff with the pre-installed OS but still nothing pre OS boot So I'm unable to get into BIOS to set up PXE / Legacy booting.

I've also come to use 2 that I've also downgraded that were fine that no no longer respond and this "NOVO" button also does nothing

I've 35 of these and 10 so far have done this issue and I don't to take the risk of this issue happening in the future, I mean if it was just 2 out of the 35 then fair enough but I'm at 7 right out of the box and 3 playing up about a week later on

I now fear that when I come to boot up the other 7 that were previously working they now won't

I guess the battery removal would be okay if you didn't have to take the back off every time.

Lenovo Support seem to think that it's OS related some how even though the issue is present from cold boot, I'm going to have to jump through their hoops I think before I can get them all sent back

check a few of my boxes and they all have a manufacture date of 17/03/22

-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,012
Message 4 of 12

now going through the ones that were working...

if the power button doesn't respond I'm pressing the "NOVO" button (its a small paper clip sized hole next to the headphone / Mic jack on the right hand side) then selecting "normal boot"

this method seemed to "wake" 2 of my 10 previously working ones how ever 2 don't respond to NOVO button but do respond to to the power button but no keyboard/mouse/lan/wifi

method normal power button x2 presses (just a normal press no holding)

no boot

NOVO button hold for 3

Boots to NOVO menu

Menu -> normal boot

Boots to OS

keyboard / mouse works -> Shutdown

Powerbutton press

Boot -> Fn+F2 to get into BIOS

Save and exit -> allowed to boot to OS again

use trackpad to Shutdown

I wouldn't consider this a solution in the slightest I'd consider it a bodge to kick something into working, I'll have to come back to the 4 laptops having where I've had to try the NOVO button and see if it needs doing again.

GavInAber
Paper Tape
Views: 2,005
Message 5 of 12

I've had Lenovo say it's because I've downgraded them to Windows 7 Pro 64bit, which I was told that they don't support.  Hmmm, ok, but why are you offering Win 7 drivers on the website? Also told me that it'll probably work fine with Win 7 Home but not Pro. Pointed out that both OSs are in practical terms identical, just with additional features turned on or off. Also, if it was OS related, how come it effects the power button, which is distinctly pre-OS!?

This NOVO button doesn't seem to work for me once the laptops have gone a bit 'loopy'. Once I've done the battery reset trick, the button starts to work fine. I suspect that this is related to the batteries getting below a certain charge level and perhaps corrupting something. I'll keep you posted on the developements at my end. 

-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,000
Message 6 of 12

Well if it helps I've 6 still on Win 10 home with the issue so that has to rule out OS being the cause.

Went to check the battery level on the two I did my the NOVO  boot cycle thing on and low and behold already they're both not reposing to power button or the NOVO button now.

I've one laptop on win7 pro that was down to 7% battery on boot which is currently working happily.

I'll unbox a couple more of the Win10 ones on Monday now and see what the above cycle does for them and check the battery level

-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,882
Message 7 of 12

Sorry this reply has taken me a while my mind and efforts have been directed elsewhere (non-work related)

I've come back to two of my Win7 imaged laptops - battery seems to of discharged completely and they now boot with keyboard / mouse working - I guess this is the same as disconnecting the battery.

I've just unboxed one two three of the 6 "DOA out of the box" laptops which I've got a return code for now (took long enough) and battery is sat at 34% (I doubt you'd get 34% running though win10 inistal setup) anyway turned on keyboard mouse wokring, no use of the NOVO burron either and I can get into the BIOS now which is very odd - I'm going to have to go through the other 5 4 3 now and see if thing replicate themselves..

GavInAber
Paper Tape
Views: 1,873
Message 8 of 12

Hi,

This does seem in some way connected to the battery level. I'm testing two laptops here now at various stages of charge, seeing if I can pin down exactly what causes the issue. 

Seems that, in my case, the battery discharge caused the initial issue but a complete discharge after resolved it. 

I've an open case with Lenovo, but they are still insisiting that the downgrade to Win 7 has caused the issue. 

Does Lenovo have any info for us that could point us in the right direction?

-ash
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,870
Message 9 of 12

I don't think we'll hear anything back, especialy since it appears my units have magically started working again with no interaction for 2 weeks.. I guess I still send them back - they won't find the fault because it seems non-existant now.

my 3rd unit i've tried is at 13% battery which suggests a discharge has happened (my second one shut down so I beleive that also hit 0% charge doesn't explain the 34% charge one though, three more to check

My two Win7 ones also hit 0%

GavInAber
Paper Tape
Views: 1,770
Message 10 of 12

Hi,

We've officially given up on these. We'll use them elsewhere in a process that isn't mission-critical or customer facing. 

Sort of puts the nail in the coffin for us buying Lenovo in the future. If they don't listen to us IT professionals out there using the products day in, day out, then they don't deserve our business. I've bought HP to replace these problematic laptops. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors