Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessie_c365
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 443
Message 1 of 3

V130-15IKB (81HNA00CGE) - 2nd SSD and BIOS Update

Hello,

I bought a V130-15IKB (81HNA00CGE) a few days ago. It's a model with a 128GB NVME SSD and preinstalled with FreeDOS - perfect for a Debian Linux Laptop.

One important reason to buy was the seller's specification which said a second SATA drive (SSD or HDD) could be added while keeping NVME and DVD-RW.

As I'm using other Lenovo products (Thinkpad T530, ThinkCentre M83z), I expected good documentation. So I was surprised to find out, that it is not documented in the manuel nor as a "Parts Removal and Replacement Video".

So my first question:

Is it possible to add a 2nd SATA-Drive - SSD or HDD?

When I installed Debian Linux to the Notebook, I had to deal with the UEFI-Bios. I was hoping for a password securable boot menu, but I wasn't able to configure this separatly. Only activating a poweron-password did the job. So I hoped a bios update could help. But I realized, only Win10-based BIOS-Updates are provided.

This leads me to my second question:

Is there any way to update my BIOS without using Win10?

Thanks for your (even partly) answers!

Regards

jessie_c365
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 417
Message 2 of 3

Re: V130-15IKB (81HNA00CGE) - 2nd SSD and BIOS Update

For the first question I got some documentation now:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/130-14ikb_130-15ikb_130-15ast_hmm_201805.pdf

I'll leave the thread open, if someone has some information with bios update

jessie_c365
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 314
Message 3 of 3

Re: V130-15IKB (81HNA00CGE) - 2nd SSD and BIOS Update

BIOS-Update is possible using the article https://medium.com/@BladeCoder/flash-your-lenovo-ideapad-laptop-bios-from-linux-using-uefi-capsule-u...

I'm running Debian Stretch and used fwupdate Release 10 from Debian Backports to flash - BIOS was updated from 8vcn09ww to 8vcn16ww.

After successful flashing - ending up in a bootmenu loop - I reconfigured bios and had to enable booting using the debian rescue usb to perform update-grub

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors