Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diemarfer
What's DOS?
Views: 867
Message 541 of 547

Re: V510-15IKB Laptop Freeze

Thank so much for quick reponse. Trying right now....

humanSloth
What's DOS?
Views: 800
Message 542 of 547

Sorry if this was talked about already:

Does this BIOS downgrade work with linux too?

nightman
Paper Tape
Views: 588
Message 543 of 547

I just came upon this thread and "fix" and sure enough, 5 minutes after flashing the BIOS, Fedora froze up again (for the 6th time in less than 2 hours, while trying to watch a tv series with VLC. The last 3 times in less than 30 minutes).

Of course the same has been happening with with any OS that I've tried on it (Windows, Ubuntu & derivatives, Fedora, Opensuse, Arch & derivatives, others that I can't remember right now). Curiously enough I think that the frequency of the freezes was much lower on Solus, but of course it was still occuring. Maybe Intel's Clear Linux with their optimizations would be better?

Or maybe, just maybe, a FIX FROM LENOVO would be best instead of flashing unsupported BIOSes, playing with power saving options, combing though godforsaken (or rather Lenovo forsaken) threads (on their official support page) and distro hopping with the hope that the **bleep** thing doesn't hang every 5-10-1200-4320-whatever minutes?

You can't fix it? You don't want to fix it? You don't care? At least pretend to give a F and reply or do ANYTHING. This is completely unacceptable. I paid for this POS and I DO care since due to some unforeseen circumstances I was left with this as my sole PC (so essentially I don't have a PC right now). For all the time that I've lost, the work that I've lost, and the psychological trauma (yes, I think that I can vaguely classify all this anger and disgust as traumatizing, as if life isn't bad enough already)

I don't think that even a Thinkpad replacement would help restore my loyalty to this "brand". The days of the Thinkpad X200-220, T400-420 and others of that generation are long gone it seems, same as the quality and support of this company.

Let's not forget about the very frequent and totally unnecessary 100% duty cycle fan spins and the fact that if you want to enable the two finger tap as right click functionality in Windows, you have to play with registry values instead of just toggling an option in the Elan (another GREAT company...) touchpad driver options. On Linux it works just fine by default (Thanks Microsoft!).

Also, the battery seems to have lost a very big chunk of its capacity even though I've babied it and only occasionally used the laptop for less than a year (20%-80% charge, AC power when I know that I'll use the laptop for an extended period of time so as to reduce the number or charge/discharge cycles, low temperatures). Whatever happened to the BIOS option to limit the maximum charge amount to 80% ? Planned obsolescence pretty much? Complete disregard to the environment and the paying customer all in the name of (short term) profit?

Sorry for the lengthy and possibly unintelligible rant to whomever (except Lenovo of course) reads it but I am beyond mad and disappointed and I haven't slept in two days.
Also, there's no way to search this thread it seems, so I will probably have to read all the pages in case I'm missing something, which of course is EXACTLY what I wanted to do right now with my limited time and energy instead of working (need a reliable computer for that), sleeping or relaxing by watching a series.

Thanks Lenovo, your support is much appreciated.

davidowsky
Punch Card
Views: 558
Message 544 of 547

Strange because after flashing this unofficial bios I had no problems for like a 2 months or so.

BTW situation is unacceptable and should be spread in media.

kavalcilikoyun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 299
Message 545 of 547

i did the uefi installation. but now i can't update bios. i make bios setup settings

kavalcilikoyun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 290
Message 546 of 547

trying to set up bios "an operating system wasn't found try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system" Gives a fault

kavalcilikoyun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 269
Message 547 of 547

i setup UEFI and BIOS 2wcn28rs but problem continues...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors