cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mesopatamius
Blue Screen Again
Views: 214
Message 1 of 2

V570 hard drive stops midway through bootup - possibly Windows Update?

I have a V570 running Win 7 64 bit that I've been using for about a year now. For the past few days, when I try to boot up my laptop the hard drive makes a louder, higher pitched whine than usual followed by a total freeze-up at some point in the booting process. A couple times I have gone into the BIOS the next time I booted and set all configurations to default, which seemed to work the first time. The boot priority order seems to be normal as far as I can tell. Two other times it recognized that Windows didn't start up properly and asked if I wanted to use Setup Repair (or whatever it is) which then loaded a system restore point from before I installed 14 updates to Windows a couple days ago. The laptop booted fine until I installed the updates again. Here is a picture of the updates in question, not sure how to embed images on this board

http://tinypic.com/r/2qlc3e0/6
Anyway, I don't really feel like installing each of them individually to try and figure out which one or more are screwing things up, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

mesopatamius
Blue Screen Again
Views: 186
Message 2 of 2

Re: V570 hard drive stops midway through bootup - possibly Windows Update?

I just used OneKey Recovery and set it back to stock. The next time I turned it on it froze just before the Windows logo came up, and after a few minutes in the BIOS (where there did not appear to be any hard drive recognized in the boot order) the hard drive stopped spinning completely, after which it turned on again and made normal sounds instead of loud whiny ones. Now I'm thinking maybe it's just cold, but it's definitely no colder than 50 degrees F in my house which is well within reasonable operating range.

I would like some insight if anyone has some to offer. Is it the link that's putting people off? I'm not an adbot, I swear. I know they all say that, but still.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors