Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hfelsh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,429
Message 1 of 13

Vista SP1: not showing up due to incompatability w/ drivers on 3000 N100

According to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343, Cause 5), Vista SP1 has "known problems" with certain devices & drivers, among them:

Biometric (Fingerprint) Sensors
• AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor with the Atswpdrv.sys driver file – version 7.7.1.7 or earlier

This, of course, is preventing Vista SP1 from being deployed to my laptop. I use the fingerprint reader frequently, and do not want to lose functionality of it, though it is somewhat problematic. Is Lenovo aware of this, and is an updated driver forthcoming, or....?

edit: I forgot to mention, I have downloaded a "newer" driver from HP; their Atswpdrv.sys driver file is 7.9.0.4, which is newer. I may be able to replace the file in question, thereby updating the driver file.  I don't see a way to attachthe file here, but AFAIK, simply updating the sys driver file shouldn't affect anything, but should allow SP1 to work, right?  I've just done this, will reboot and let everyone know....

edit #2: GOOD NEWS! Replacing just the sys file didn't work; using the "update driver", and allowing it to use the .inf from HP to install the driver, updated it to 7.9.0.4, and SP1 now shows up under Updates. Smiley Tongue

Now, when will LENOVO catch up so no one has to do this work-around?  BTW, if anyone else needs this, simply reply to this post and I'll upload the files somewhere.

Message Edited by hfelsh on 04-07-2008 09:10 AM
Kevinat751
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,416
Message 2 of 13

Re: Vista SP1: not showing up due to incompatability w/ drivers on 3000 N100

Hi Friend,
     This is good news, You've found a fix.  Could you give us the url for the Atswpdrv.sys driver from HP..
                                   Thanks and Have a great day                           
                                                                                                  Kevin

hfelsh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,403
Message 3 of 13

Instructions:
  1. Download the HP file from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-56164-1&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en...
  2. You'll need to extract the files using WinRAR (WinZip will not work); you'll need to download and install WinRar (www.rarlabs.com), then right-mouse on the file you downloaded in step 1, select "extract to" and choose a destination.
  3. Go to Device Manager, select the Authentec AES2501A, choose "update driver", and browse to the location you extracted the files to in step 2.

Voila! Do not run the install file, as it's designed for HP/Compaq computers, of course, so I don't know what it would do.  However, I now have Vista SP1 installed and all apears to be running normally.

Message Edited by hfelsh on 04-07-2008 02:53 PM
et
Serial Port
Views: 6,395
Message 4 of 13

I have 2 questions about this updated driver from HP.
  1. Is this updated driver working without problems with Lenovo Fingerprint software for loging in to Vista with a fingerprint ?
  2. Is this updated driver working with Lenovo Client Security Solution ? I'm using the Password Manager from CSS and on Vista x86 CSS to login to Vista with my fingerprint.

hfelsh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,383
Message 5 of 13

I don't know that I'd call it an "updated" driver (though the version # is newer, and it doesn't have the problem with Vista SP1 that the Lenovo driver does), however, to answer your questions:

1. Yes.
2. I do not know, but I assume yes based on #1.  It is, after all, merely a hardware driver, and the software will make the call to the hardware via the driver, so it should not have a problem.
konfuzd
Token Ring
Views: 6,374
Message 6 of 13

Even trying the various sp1 rc's on my n100, I never had any driver problems. Just download the standalone installer and go from there.

Microsoft's supposed to be releasing a "fixed" version of SP1 that can reinstall the problem drivers properly within the month. If all else fails, you could just wait.
Kevinat751
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,232
Message 7 of 13

On the 12th of April Windows update installed Vista sp1 (automatic install) on my 0768-E5U Lenovo laptop N100. The only glitch that occured was a nasty little message at the end of installation, "The finger printer reader driver is taking to long to respond, We suggest you uninstall it or remove the hardware."  Has anybody else had this happen? If so what was your course of action?

Thanks  Kevin
Retired Guru
Views: 6,222
Message 8 of 13

This will help probably.
//help will save the world
hfelsh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,204
Message 9 of 13

skripatch: Thanks to you, or whomever put that up, for ripping off MY work and giving absolutely NO credit. Robot Mad All you had to do was point them back to post #3, WHERE I PUT ALL THAT INFO JERK!
Retired Guru
Views: 6,198
Message 10 of 13

Be patient.
Otherwise some people in white clothes can come here and find out whether you're allright.
Great for you to find out all this information.
Practice shows that people are too lazy to try all mentioned methods. So if you post the same twice it may help.
Also that material is directing to Lenovo forums (if you know how to use page info in web - you'll find this out).

Be happy.

Message Edited by skripatch on 04-14-2008 06:42 PM
//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors