Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BAZZI
Paper Tape
Views: 540
Message 1 of 7

Windows 7 installation fails after UEFI/BIOS update

Machine: IdeaPad N581 with latest BIOS/UEFI (v9.01). 

Hello! 

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) on my machine, which is currently running Windows 8.1. I want a clean install, i. e. wipe out the whole HDD (partition and format). Booting from DVD, the installation fails after the setup DVD has been loaded and the display says "Windows is starting" (the installation). 

There's a short graphical glitch an then a frozen display with the loading screen. 

When I switch from UEFI to legacy BIOS, the installation starts as normal. But I want Win 7 to run on UEFI. 

Is it possible, that the latest UEFI version does not support Windows 7? I had Windows 7 on UEFI before I made an BIOS update one year ago. 

I made several DVDs to check, whether it's a faulty disc.

My questions: 

1) Where can I get an older BIOS/UEFI version for my machine (download archives?)?

2) What else might keep Windows 7 from being installed under UEFI?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 513
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows 7 installation fails after UEFI/BIOS update

Hello and welcome,

Try enabling CSM support in BIOS.  Should be somewhere near the UEFI/legacy option if it's available.  Win 7 won't run in UEFI mode without CSM.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 506
Message 3 of 7

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Hello and welcome,

Try enabling CSM support in BIOS.  Should be somewhere near the UEFI/legacy option if it's available.  Win 7 won't run in UEFI mode without CSM.

Z.

I just want clarification regarding the statement "Win 7 won't run in UEFI mode without CSM". Does this apply to Lenovo units only or any unit at all?

What do you mean by CSM?

Thanks in advance.

BAZZI
Paper Tape
Views: 497
Message 4 of 7

There is no option such as CSM or similar in this UEFI version.  

Might an older version help? Where can I get an older version? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 490
Message 5 of 7

@LenBlazer: As far as I know, CSM support is required for Windows 7 to run in UEFI mode on any machine.  CSM - compatibility services module - makes some legacy-style BIOS hooks available when in UEFI mode as I understand it.

@BAZZI: I can't find the N581 in the BIOS simulator to look at the options.  Some other similar machines don't seem to list CSM as a separate option. Hopefully CSM support is enabled (silently) when UEFI is selected but I can't verify that, unfortunately.

CSM may not be the problem in your case.  It has been on the machines I've tested Win7/UEFI on.  When it isn't enabled you get to the Windows 7 "dancing balls" splash and then it hangs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

BAZZI
Paper Tape
Views: 483
Message 6 of 7

Well,  it worked before I updated the bios. I had Windows 7 in uefi running on that computer for months. When I switched to Windows 7, I made that update which is provided on the Lenovo  homepage. 

The update led to a boot freeze with win 7 back then. I thought of another as reason und rolled back to the previous version  of the bios. 

Now I want to roll back again, to use Windows 7 on my machine. So,  I need the previous bios version. There must be some archive, like every other vendor has. 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 467
Message 7 of 7

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

@LenBlazer: As far as I know, CSM support is required for Windows 7 to run in UEFI mode on any machine.  CSM - compatibility services module - makes some legacy-style BIOS hooks available when in UEFI mode as I understand it.

@BAZZI: I can't find the N581 in the BIOS simulator to look at the options.  Some other similar machines don't seem to list CSM as a separate option. Hopefully CSM support is enabled (silently) when UEFI is selected but I can't verify that, unfortunately.

CSM may not be the problem in your case.  It has been on the machines I've tested Win7/UEFI on.  When it isn't enabled you get to the Windows 7 "dancing balls" splash and then it hangs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Z.

Thanks for your response. The reason I ask because I have installed Win 7 a long time ago in uefi mode and I can't remember installing it with CSM enabled. I have Win 7 PRO 64-bit. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors