Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droblesa
What's DOS?
Views: 234
Message 1 of 2

Wireless adapters for N585

I live in a condominium complex with a lot of wireless routers around making wireless speeds horrendous.  My IdeaPad only has a 2.4ghz B/G/N adapter.  I tried putting in an intel 7260N card but the system would not let me boot up.  It told me an unauthorized wireless card was installed and that I should shut down, remove it and reboot.

So, what wireless adapters can I put in this unit that will allow me access to the 5.4ghz spectrum as not very many people in my community use it?  I'm not opposed to upgrading to an 802.11AC adapter but I want one that will work with this unit.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 213
Message 2 of 2

Re: Wireless adapters for N585

What you have experience is what others usually called the whitelist restriction. The usual solution is to have your bios modded to remove the restriction. However, the process is not perfect so you could end up bricking your computer or some features in the new adapter or in the old adapter not available anymore.

Another workaround is to use a cheap dual band usb wifi adapter which will enable you to access wifi through the 2.4 ghz band or the 5 ghz band. The only negative that I can say about this is that it can used up your nearly full usb ports.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors