Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Message 21 of 25 (365 Views)

Re: Wrong BIOS on website for V510-15IKB (Machine Type 80WQ01SVGE)

Anguel,

The information I gave you is no theory nor is it speculation, it is fact.  For your system type the correct BIOS is a Kabylake BIOS because you have a Kabylake board.  Installing a non recommended or wrong BIOS may cause problems and possibly invalidate your warranty.

The frequency of BIOS releases will vary from system to system and it is not uncommon to see BIOS versions installed on systems from the factory which have not been released to the support site, (search the forums and you will find this is not a new question), this is because they do not include any necessary fixes for previously released systems of the same type, usually this will be in relation to component compatibility including CPU micro-code.

You could not install the BIOS from the website, because as previously explained, your system came from the factory with a newer BIOS than that on the web and which has not been released to the web.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Serial Port
Message 22 of 25 (361 Views)

Andy_Lenovo wrote:

You could not install the BIOS from the website, because as previously explained, your system came from the factory with a newer BIOS than that on the web and which has not been released to the web.

But this does not explain the fact that the BIOS versions on the website have a completely different labeling and on top of that the BIOS installer tells me that they are not compatible with my system. All of this just does not make sense to me...

My theory (and I have thorough computer experience) is that either Lenovo does not officially support my notebook because they dropped this model for some reason or that they mixed up something in the models and send me to the wrong BIOS download page... I bet that a new BIOS will never appear on that page that will fit for my computer! The only thing that makes sense to me so far is what Jaime_P wrote.

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 23 of 25 (322 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Anguel!

I had the same problems you discribed. Today after starting a new SCAN-process on LENOVO-Driver & Software System Update for my computer. This process creates a new update list, different from the one that ist initially displayed on the page.

I at last was offered the BIOS-Version 0ZCN40WW. I downloaded and installed it without problems.

I can not yet say wether it solves the battery charging problems I have had.

So it seems like you were right from the start concerning the BIOS.

Thank you for trying to sort this out!

Serial Port
Message 24 of 25 (300 Views)

Thank you for the feedback, Neanderthaler!
This is what I expected. Do you see the 0ZCN... BIOS only when you do a system scan? I still see the 2WCN... when I click on the direct BIOS download link.
Fanfold Paper
Message 25 of 25 (284 Views)

The list that is initially displayed on the page seems to be a general list of possible updates for this type of machine. It still contains only the 2WCN...-BIOS. Only after I complete the system scan a totally new list pops up aditionally. And this list contains the 0ZCN...BIOS.

The scan process doesn't seem to be perfect because it also offers updates for my touchpad driver which are already installed. Strange!

The reason why I wanted to update the BIOS (Problems with charging the battery) seem to be solved with the newe BIOS.

Extra note: I just found out that my computer is of Machine Type 80WQ01SWGE. I can't tell whether this is of any importance.

Top kudoed Authors