cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,143
Message 11 of 26

Re: Wrong BIOS on website for V510-15IKB (Machine Type 80WQ01SVGE)

Anguel, I received a clarification on the BIOS version, 0ZCN30WW, which is already installed on your system.  This is the latest BIOS available for your model.  A possible reason for its installation was during manufacture it was needed to support the hardware configuration your system has.  Since this BIOS is specific to your configuration, it is not needed by those who purchased earlier systems with a different hardware configuration and that would explain why it is not posted for public download. When you try to use one of the existing BIOS upgrade downloads, they are correctly aborting since they do not recognize the later BIOS version installed.   I hope this helps explain the problem you have encountered.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Anguel
Serial Port
Views: 1,128
Message 12 of 26

Majestic, many thanks for the information. I still hope that Lenovo will officially support and update my notebook's BIOS in future as this is very important for business notebooks like this one. Also there have been recently discovered some microcode bugs in all Skylake CPUs that will require a BIOS update: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/25/intel_skylake_kaby_lake_hyperthreading/

Lenovo should still update their website to not offer the wrong BIOS for this exact model.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,110
Message 13 of 26

I don't see future BIOS updates as being a problem.  I have a Thinkpad Yoga that had a hardware configuration change during its history of being manufactured.  Lenovo handled this by releasing subsequent BIOS updates that would detect what design version it was and then update it accordingly.  Likewise if the update didn't pertain to my version I got a pop up informing me of such.   I suspect the same will be true for your system.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Jaime_P
Paper Tape
Views: 1,048
Message 14 of 26

Hi Anguel,

here is an later BIOS version, is it 0ZCN38WW, maybe the BIOS version is 0ZCN30WW in your laptop.

0ZCN30WW, 0ZCN38WW Applies to Skylake technology

2WCN25WW, 2WCN28WW Applies to Kabylake technology

If you want to update the BIOS version go to this link:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/es/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LENOVO-V-SERIES-LAPTOPS/V310-15ISK/d...

In my case the update worked so good.

Best Regards.

Jaime_P

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,046
Message 15 of 26

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Jaime_P!

Thanks for posting.  Is that BIOS update for the V510 as well?   I see in the README file it only lists the V310 for compatible machines.

Anguel
Serial Port
Views: 1,015
Message 16 of 26

Jaime_P, many thanks for the observation and the feedback! This is actually the kind of mess I expected...

Majestic, Lenovo should tell us if they have linked wrong BIOSes on their website (this was my expectation too and therefore I started the thread), not the customers. I also unmarked your solution. Please clarify this internally - this should be possible I hope, even at Lenovo... Very disappointed!
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,004
Message 17 of 26

Anguel,  have you verified that the download Jaime_P offered is also for the V510-15IKB ?  All indications at this point would indicate that BIOS upgrade is for the V310 only. 

Anguel
Serial Port
Views: 976
Message 18 of 26

Majestic, yes verified, the latest 0ZCN40WW BIOS update for the V310 ISK (it is actually also for V510 ISK as you see during install) works on my V510 IKB . Lenovo has messed up things completely as expected! My notebook's model is IKB at the end which should be an Intel Kabylake CPU as Jaime_P stated. However, the notebook has a Skylake CPU - Core i3-6006U! Therefore it makes sense that the BIOS for the ISK notebooks is correct, not the one for the IKB. Also, as you see the BIOS name for ISK models starts with 0ZCN... which is the same as my initial BIOS name. Can you please check back with Lenovo and let them clarify how it could happen that my notebook's model is incorrectly labeled as Kabylake although I have a Skylake CPU? Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 948
Message 19 of 26

Hi Anguel,

You actually have what is called a Skabylake system which is a combination of Skylake and Kabylake.

What are Skabylake systems?   -   Because Kabylake CPUs will not support Windows 7, systems were built with Kabylake backwards compatible mainboards and Skylake CPUs in order that some corporate / enterprise customers could continue to deploy Windows 7. These systems are known as Skabylake.

In short 7th Gen boards with 6th Gen CPUs.

As a result of your system having a Kabylake board you require a Kabylake BIOS and not Skylake although, as you correctly note, your CPU is Skylake.

Also, as posted by Majestic earlier, you are on the latest necessary BIOS version for your system which has not been published to the web because it contains no fixes necessary for customers to install.  Please do NOT attempt to install any other BIOS on your system other than one specifically offered on the Lenovo support site for your system type.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Anguel
Serial Port
Views: 934
Message 20 of 26

Andy_Lenovo, thank you for the information. However, I would like to know if this is official information received directly from the developers or is this just another "theory"? I have heard many "theories" from Lenovo support so far - each support employee actually has his own.
I am still not convinced. Every sign beside the "IKB" in the model shows that the Skylake BIOS is the one to be used, especially the original BIOS started with 0ZCN so I am pretty sure 0ZCN BIOSes, i.e. the Skylake BIOSes, are the correct ones to use. In contrast, the 2WCN BIOSes which the Lenovo website offers me for the IKB immediately deny installation while the ISK BIOS installs without any issues. Or do you want to tell me that leading PC manufacturer Lenovo is not able to do a simple BIOS compatibility check in the year of 2017 ?
I also don't believe the "theory" that there is no newer BIOS for my notebook as new BIOSes for both ISK and IKB systems are actually published almost every week, containing the same type of changes, look below:

Summary of changes
==================
General Information:
0ZCN40WW
  1.Update 0ZEC29WW EC version to fix battery can't charge problem.
  2.Set Always On USB default is disable.

Summary of changes
==================
General Information:
2WCN29WW:
1. Update 2WEC22WW EC version to fix battery can't charge problem.
2. Set Always On USB default is disable.

BIOS and EC Update went absolutely smoothly with the ISK BIOS and my system now runs without problems, see screenshot. Exactly as Jaime_P stated.

Updated_BIOS.jpgUPDATED BIOS

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors