cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
herbun
Paper Tape
Views: 830
Message 1 of 4

after installing all lenovo updates for n500 I cant access the boot rescure and recovery anymore!!!

hi,

i´ve just installed all actual updates for the n500, including a bios update. since then I cant get into the boot up utilities(I think its called thinkvantage) anymore with the lenovo button when booting up (instead, I get a menu where I can choose where to boot from!!!!)... when pressing f8 on bootup there used to be something like "repair system" in the menu, its gone too... 

also, rescure and recovery in vista basic does not load anymore, the gui process is running but nothing happens... please help!!!

what can I do??? I didn't touch any partitions or delete anything... before the updates, it did work. installing the newest bios from the website did not solve the problem too... Smiley Sad 

Message Edited by herbun on 06-19-2009 04:53 AM
herbun
Paper Tape
Views: 818
Message 2 of 4

Re: after installing all lenovo updates for n500 I cant access the boot rescure and recovery anymore

I forgot to mention that I had to do a "vista upgrade" installation on vista because it was totally **bleep**ed up. seems like the mbr got changed(at least thats the common problem when thinkvantage is not working anymore) and that is why it does not work anymore. anyways, I would like to install the rescure and recovery software but the n500 is not in the list of supported notebooks, so that might be no good idea?

any other options? 

herbun
Paper Tape
Views: 814
Message 3 of 4

Re: after installing all lenovo updates for n500 I cant access the boot rescure and recovery anymore

I am beginning to love lenovo. and vista. I´ve used the boot disk found at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54483

(vista version), made a disc with it, "fixed" my mbr... and now vista stops booting all together.  something about a missing bootmanager. I love it. really. both. lenovo, and vista.

edit: lucky me, I had a dart cd to repair the boot manager. so I can at least boot again. but, still no solution to my problem... any ideas?

edit 2: I tried again. this time, no error. but still, I have the same problem with a not working thinkvantage. any ideas?

edit 3: seems like the only solution left after reviewing all hints and tips is installing rescue and recovery, but has anyone installed it on a N500 yet? does it work? does it damage the pc? which version should I install, if it works?

Message Edited by herbun on 06-19-2009 06:17 AM
Message Edited by herbun on 06-19-2009 06:33 AM
Message Edited by herbun on 06-19-2009 06:40 AM
herbun
Paper Tape
Views: 774
Message 4 of 4

I just wanted to thank everyone for their impressive help and energy they put into helping me. really, you should not have tried to help me all at once. thanks alot! I hope you get the irony. the problem still persists btw. I dont get it why the n500 is not supported by thinkvantage/rescue and recovery thats availiable for download. and I have to say that the thinkvantage is no advantage at all, the way it is realized. too bad, its a good idea, but if you cant restore the boot manager with the disk which should fix it... I mean come on, its not so hard to write a program that does just do the job its supposed to do, we are not talking about analysis of cern data, just about fixing that thinkvantage button...  I`ve lost 20 hours of my life to this sh... thanks alot. I won't buy another lenovo...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors