Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nworbekim
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 1 of 2

creating a bootable flash drive

hi, i'm hoping you can help me with this.  last night, my laptop just sort of froze.  i tried to reboot and it stopped partway thru.  in safe mode, i could see where it stopped at the crc... something or other.  

i didn't want to do a factory restore, not that there's anything great on it, but i keep thinking of all the updates and software i have to reinstall... and my connection isn't so fast.  so i'd rather rescue it if i can.

what i think i can do is create a bootable flash drive which will allow me to get in and see what i can do to help it.  i found the information and know how, but i don't have a vista start up DVD, my system came on the hard drive already.  each set of directions for creating the flash boot uses the dvd.

my wife has an identical laptop, so i think i can use it to create an image on the flash, but how and what do i use?  nothing seems to be on the web that tells me that information.

suggestions or links will be greatly appreciated!

thank you for taking time to read this...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 166
Message 2 of 2

Re: creating a bootable flash drive

Hi,

If your wife's Vista is updated to SP1 (at least) you should be able to create your own system repair CD/DVD.

Start -> Maintenance -> Create a Recovery Disc.

Use that to attempt repair or to build your recovery flash drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors