Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-26-2018

Turkey

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 7

v330 - ssd auto encryption when installing win 10 pro

2018-07-26, 18:01 PM

Hi,

I bought a Lenovo v330 notebook. It's coming 1 tb hdd .I plugged m.2  SSD. (crucial mx 500 CT250MX500SSD4) . I started to install Windows 10 Pro. After normal steps , the notebook restarted. After restart, V330 asking unlock code . (displaying Unlock CT250MX500SSD) Which code? I did not enter the code?  I can not access the bios screen right now .  Unplugged the SSD. Everything is normal. I plugged  another new SSD. The same steps , same problem . Probably related to OPAL.  What can i do ? How can I use this SSD in this notebook?

Thanks for helps

Options

3 Posts

08-31-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: v330 - ssd auto encryption when installing win 10 pro

2018-08-31, 13:32 PM

I have this exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

Options

5 Posts

09-03-2018

Hungary

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 3 of 7

2018-09-03, 19:08 PM

I have exactly the same problem.

- I tried to flash latest Lenovo BIOS (v 35), but nothing new. 

- I installed 240GB Kingston SSD into SATA 2.5" bay with previously installed Win10.  Laptop boots normally from SATA SSD when Crucial is missing.  If I re-assemble Crucial M.2 SSD, it can't boot even from SATA SSD  (even bios setup F1 or bootmenu F12 don't work...only "unlock" message displayed)

I guess it is also a Lenovo bios issue: if there is an h/w encrypted drive in the sysytem, it should be albe to boot from another un-encrypted drive (only encrypted drive will be un-accessible from OS)

Could you guys solved the problem somehow? (your post is 1+ month old)

cheers,

Options

3 Posts

08-31-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2018-09-04, 19:01 PM

I was able to fix the issue. You have to go into the bios and put a HDD password on your hard drive prior to imaging or installing Windows.

The issue is with eDrive, Windows is automatically enabling it and it's locking out your drive. If you enable your HDD password in the BIOS, eDrive cannot be enabled. Once Windows is installed, you can reset your HDD password back to blank to clear it. eDrive stayed off when I did this.

There's also a Windows Registry Key ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EnhancedStorageDevices]

"TCGSecurityActivationDisabled"=dword:00000001) that you can change to disable the feature from enabling in the future.

I wasn't patient enough to make the changes prior to cloning to see if it would correct the issue. I started from scratch rather than cloning on one machine and moving to the laptop. My SATA cable was damaged preventing me from doing a clone in the original machine.
Options

5 Posts

09-03-2018

Hungary

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-09-04, 22:32 PM

It doesn't work for me:o

I'd file a "bios bug report", but couldn't find where. See the case, which is a bios bug IMO:

there is a encrypted SSD in M.2 slot  and password is unknown.  There is another device (2.5" SATA/DVD/USB external) with bootable Linux or Windows.

At laptop boot, you are asked for unlock encrypted drive password. If you don't give the password, you still could continue booting from the other drive.  Now (latest BIOS ver "35") your only option is shutdown: you can't reach BIOS setup, or bootmenu to select other available boot device!!

If you could boot from the "normal" drive, you could issue OPAL commands to enable/disable encryption, format encrypted drive (loosing all data of course). Now it is a total deadlock:  you can boot with M.2 removed, but M.2 is not hot-pluggable.  If M.2 is present, no way to boot from any device.

Another story: how Crucial MX500 comes with encryption enabled (brand new, right out of the box) ? How could it start encrypting data writes (Windows install files) if no any password given to it in the whole process?  It seems a real mess to me : ((

Options

3 Posts

08-31-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-09-05, 13:09 PM

You may need to do a PSID revert using the Crucial Executive Storage software. I do not believe the BIOS is initiating the lock. I think it's Windows, thus the need to disable eDrive in the registry.

Options

5 Posts

09-03-2018

Hungary

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2018-09-08, 12:45 PM

Finally I changed M.2 Crucial to SATA 2.5" Kingston SSD. I haven't found any solution after a couple days of experimenting: ( 

I could use (for installing Windows, disable and enable encryption) M.2 Crucial in a Gigabyte desktop board's M.2 slot, but when put back into Lenovo laptop, some (unknown) password was *always* required, so couldn't reach booting from ssd, or the bios setup, or even booting from another non-encrypred SATA drive.

IMO Lenovo bios has serious issues:

- probably there is a flag in the SSD controller if encryption is emabled/disabled. Password should be required only at laptop boot, if encryption is enabled.

- When password is required, user may skip giving password to reach bios setup, or bootmenu for booting from another drive (in this situation encrypted drive is unaccessible of course)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms