Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 969
Message 1 of 4

Some Brief Thoughts From CES

Now that we're a few days out from CES, I thought I might give a few thoughts from what I saw and what I think we're going to see over the next year:

• Obviously Android ruled the day and were the lead story of CES with no clear winners, except for Motorola.  That company has a compelling offering with Xoom and Atrix and will be a tough competitor to beat.  Though there will not be many clear winners, the tablet market is growing quickly.  Even if a vendor only ships 50,000 of its own tablet, that volume is enough to make the product a commercial success.
  • I will blog more about this, but speaking for Lenovo specifically, if you want to see the future of ThinkPad, look at our ThinkPad Edge E420s/E220s platforms.  These have many design attributes I predict will become the new ThinkPad look for all of our products.
  • Windows tablets will do just fine as they offer one major advantage -- scribble to text input available to all applications running in the Windows ecosystem.  Though an Android signature capture application might emerge, until Google decides to make stylus input available in the operating system, Android will be at a disadvantage.
  • LightPeak (or lack thereof) was a major disappointment.  So was USB 3.0.  No products with LightPeak.  Few with USB 3.0.
-------
Matt Kohut
Lenovo Product Marketing
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 959
Message 2 of 4

Re: Some Brief Thoughts From CES

mkohut_Lenovo wrote:
  • I will blog more about this, but speaking for Lenovo specifically, if you want to see the future of ThinkPad, look at our ThinkPad Edge E420s/E220s platforms.  These have many design attributes I predict will become the new ThinkPad look for all of our products.

That's pretty scary.  And sad.  "If it won't go, chrome it!", eh?

Time to hunt down another X301 to save for a rainy day.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 894
Message 3 of 4

chrome is such a "me too" feature.  product designers in all markets are softening corners and adding chrome trim, making consumer electronics indistinguishable.  the thinkpad has been unique for nearly twenty years and people appreciate the design for that reason.

bento boxes don't have chrome trim and neither should classic thinkpads.  edge, maybe, but not classic models.

there's nothing wrong with continuing down the road less traveled.  after all, more accidents are had on busy streets, not less-traveled ones. Smiley Wink

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

jschwartzbeck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 871
Message 4 of 4

I had the same knee jerk reaction as the other two posters regarding chrome.

Chrome is extremely tacky on electronics... unless it's software.

Otherwise, I really liked the new edge designs. I hope the more business end of the thinkpad line stays extremely understated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals