Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,318
Message 1 of 5

Optical Drive

I'm getting mixed signals about the presence of Optical drives in the 2016 Thinkpad line-up, especially from the t460p. will The t460p have an optical drive as an option or not? Same thing with the L4/560, although I only doubt the presence of optical drives from the pictures I've seen, but almost every site lists them as having them as optional add-ons.

So it seems to me like only the P70 and the budget L series will have optical drives? I hope that isn't the case.

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,304
Message 2 of 5

Betreff: Optical Drive

ThinkPads left with ODDs: L560, P70

ODDs are dead.

dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,301
Message 3 of 5

I can't think of a single good reason for the L series 15 inch to have an optical drive but neither the T series nor P series 15 inch versions have the option. It's pretty ridiculous, especially considering how fragmented the new series is, that they couldn't make ONE thinkpad with this feature.

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,287
Message 4 of 5

L series is in this case a legacy solution for big businesses who still need things like ExpressCard, VGA or an ODD. So thats the reason why this option still exists.

T series is going to all Ultrabook form-factors, in which an ODD doesn´t have a place.

P series: There is no reason to offer a built in ODD on the 15" model. Barely anyone uses this feature anymore, and it would take away so much room, its just not worth it. Lenovo can build a much better machine without the ODD then with it.

Look at the other manufacturers. Everyone is dropping the ODD everywhere. There is not reason to keep the ODD around in notebooks any longer. It doesn´t belong inside the chassis of a notebook. It belongs on the desk as a optional accessory, an external DVD drive.

ras47
SCSI Port
Views: 1,244
Message 5 of 5

Re: Optical Drive

There are external optical drives available that plug into USB ports. If you absolutely have to have one there are many choices from third-party vendors out there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top tags