Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 6,811
Message 11 of 34

Re: P40 Yoga Matte or Glossy

Hey, it's Arthur. I was with the Lenovo Insider's group that attended CES in Las Vegas this year. As an illustrator and game designer I spent a little extra time with the Lenovo Yoga P40 while I was there and talked to Lane Jesseph, the Product Manager.

I asked specifically if there would be a matte screen option for the Yoga P40, and if I could get a pen with felt tip nibs like what shipped with the 1st Gen Thinkpad 10. I explained to Lane that I'd applied a third party screen covering to my Thinkpad 10 to get the same experience I'd had with my S1 Thinkpad Yoga, that came with a factory applied film. Lane said that I could indeed get a matte screen and the felt tip nibs as I desired. Further, he said they would all ship together with my P40 with a nib puller (the like that usually comes with Wacom devices).  

What I used at CES did not have the matte screen option or the felt tip nibs, and as everything was EAS now, I couldn't try out what I'd brought with me. I can't speak to how well the factory applied film will work. I can say that it's excellent on my S1 Yoga and if they use the same grade of product, it should be awesome. The screen quality on the P40 makes the blacks and darks such that the reflections didn't really bother me, even with all the mood lighting at CES.

As far as displays go:

FHD Touch (1920 x 1080) IPS, 250 nits
WQHD Touch (2560 x 1440) IPS, 300 nits

From what I was told, they are both EAS stylus capable. So your options will likely be one of those two resolutions, and whether you want the factory anti-glare/matte film applied or not. 

Actually drawing on the P40 (minus my desired surface and pen) was great. I've no hesitation to buy. The link is to my Youtube channel of me drawing (left handed to get the shot) on the P40 at CES. I wanted to watch later to see what kind of transfer rate I would have. 

Arthur Drawing on the P40

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 6,809
Message 12 of 34

Thanks for sharing that!

I know you spent much more time with the P40 than I did. It's great to have the first-hand experiences shared here.

Cheers!

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 6,802
Message 13 of 34

@Puppy wrote:

Depending on how we call that, any filter/protector that's trying to pretend a matte surface on a glossy display affects clarity of it

Glossy surface is better for touch screens anyway because it is easier to clean it.

There is no need to play the matte screen game anymore, you can not use the form factor for any productive work anyway. ThinkPad 8 and 10 tablets already have glossy (16:10) screens, why not the P40 ? It is natural for touch screen and does not affect picture clarity.

I'm not sure what your definitition of a "true" matte surface is where laptops are concerned. I worked for a glass company for seven years. It's all either physically or chemically etched, or has an applied film or coating of some sort. Corning Gorilla glass, because of how it is made will, for the time being, always require a film to be applied to get that anti-glare/matte look. It's chemically tempered, which is why it can be so thin, doesn't have a waver to the surface (like heat treated glass), and is super duper clear. 

3rd party film will show wear and tear over time. I'm on my second bit of screen film with my Thinkpad 10. My Thinkpad Yoga, with factory applied film barely has a mark on it. I don't know what they use over at Lenovo but it is seriously tough. My microfiber cloth cleans both glossy and matte screen film with equal ability, but it is more important to keep a glossy screen clean (glass is porous) and they are higher maintenance as a result in my opinion. 

I've rendered thousands of visual assets for video games, web, and print using various factory applied and 3rd party matte screen options. They are excellent for stylus control if you're drawing on screen and for protecting your eyes from strain. You can absolutely use them for commercial use, and I've typed a couple million words for my novels at 100% scaling (yes, I step down from the default) without issue. 

Be free my matte screen brothers and sisters, buy at will. 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 6,799
Message 14 of 34

@sarbin wrote:

Thanks for sharing that!

I know you spent much more time with the P40 than I did. It's great to have the first-hand experiences shared here.

Cheers!

Glad to. I plan to spam the page refresh button the night of the 28th until the P40 pops up on the Lenovo site. Once I've got my own, set up how I like it, I'll post some reviews and links to pics, videos and such for the forums. 

Guru
Views: 6,767
Message 15 of 34

I have been in touch with the Product Manager for the P40 and have the following information:

"Yes, the P40 will ship with the plastic tip/nib in the pen and we will include 3x felt tips and tweezer tool to change the tips.

We do offer two different screen materials.  One is a glossy finish with a WQHD (2560 1440) resolution.  The other is a matte finish with FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)."

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
BlackThorne
What's DOS?
Views: 6,600
Message 16 of 34

Speaking of reviews, there's one up already Smiley Wink

I didn't do too much testing on the digitizer because I'm rather inexperienced with digital drawing/sketching tools. Anything specific you guys might want to know?

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 6,592
Message 17 of 34

Woo hoo! Awesome. Can't wait to read it, BlackThorne. Smiley Very Happy

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 6,532
Message 18 of 34

So, I currently have a W540, which is still too heavy for me, but...

The W540 2880x1650 screen is amazing, and parts an interesting and reasonable line between glossy and matte. If only they had done the same thing with the P40....

The P40 seems otherwise so close to what I want.
[Present: W540/K2100/4800QM/24GB. Past: X220, S10, T61P]
Highlighted
BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 6,502
Message 19 of 34

Marketing people should not design things. They must be kept from doing that.

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 6,359
Message 20 of 34

I am deeply disapointed in the screen options.

We have a choice of: An old-fashioned 1080p screen, or a glossy screen so we can look at the ceiling lights while we use it.

If I put a matt screen protector on the screen that would likely bind the screen hinges.

Last week, I answered my roomates challenge, we put my matte w540 against his glossy 13" Macbook Pro. Even though he is usually an unmovable mac fanboy, he readily admitted the matt screen was easier to see.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top tags