Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 9,507
Message 1 of 34

P40 Yoga Matte or Glossy

Does the upcomming P40 yoga have a matte or glossy display?

BTW, as much as the P40 might otherwise be the perfect computer for me, I hate glossy screens. I am writing this, sitting by a window, and that's all I would see if I had a glossy screen.

Glossy screens are the emperor's new clothes, BrendaEM

[Present: W540/K2100/4800QM/24GB. Past: X220, S10, T61P]
jannesalovaara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,339
Message 2 of 34

Re: P40 Yoga Matte or Glossy

Sorry to leech on your topic but it's too P40 related and it goes as follows: 

A Lenovo sales rep over chat told me that P40 IS NOT coming to EU/Nordic markets. At all. 

Is there anyone to confirm this?

And if P40 is not going to be your choice to win some creatives over to be Lenovo users, then which new model is? I mean to have stylus supported qhd+ screen, 16/512gb and i7?

Or is Lenovo really that happy to see customers choose Microsoft Surface Book instead? 

Thanks!

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 9,162
Message 3 of 34

I wish this post wasn't moved, as it's after CES 2016, no one will notice it.

Still no answer for my original post.

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,148
Message 4 of 34

As the P40 Yoga features a Touchscreen with a glass Overlay, it has inherently some gloss. However, the panel should be semi-glossy, as Lenovo applies a special matte foil to the screen.

Hope that helps!

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,148
Message 5 of 34

@ibmthink wrote:

However, the panel should be semi-glossy, as Lenovo applies a special matte foil to the screen.

Which makes it even worse than keep the glossy one because of screen door effect.

Community SuperMod
Views: 9,144
Message 6 of 34

@Puppy wrote:

@ibmthink wrote:

However, the panel should be semi-glossy, as Lenovo applies a special matte foil to the screen.

Which makes it even worse than keep the glossy one because of screen door effect.

FWIW...
I observed no screen-door effect when looking at the P40 in the Lenovo exhibition at CES.

Regards.

p40-forums-2.jpg

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,139
Message 7 of 34

Depending on how we call that, any filter/protector that's trying to pretend a matte surface on a glossy display affects clarity of it. You can call that "shimmer" or whatever but it will look just ugly and small text is out of focus. The reason behind that is called - optics.

Take a macro picture of the display with small black text on white background by a real camera (not a phone) and you will see that.

Glossy surface is better for touch screens anyway because it is easier to clean it. In general people got used to have mirrors instead of displays when watching movies that's the target group for 16:9 displays Smiley Frustrated There is no need to play the matte screen game anymore, you can not use the form factor for any productive work anyway. ThinkPad 8 and 10 tablets already have glossy (16:10) screens, why not the P40 ? It is natural for touch screen and does not affect picture clarity.

Bit Torrent
Views: 9,123
Message 8 of 34

Puppy schrieb:

In general people got used to have mirrors instead of displays when watching movies that's the target group for 16:9 displays ... There is no need to play the matte screen game anymore, you can not use the form factor for any productive work anyway.

Tell that to the people who already have the ThinkPad Yoga 460 / Yoga 14 and use it for work. Just because YOU can´t work with 16:9 does not mean that no one can.

Also don´t forget you have a X220. Thats a 12.5" 16:9 display. Yoga 460 / P40 Yoga has a 14" 16:9 display, so just because its bigger you already have more vertical screen space available. And 1366x768 is not even an option anymore on this model, so screen resolution is also not a problem.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,115
Message 9 of 34

@ibmthink wrote:

Also don´t forget you have a X220. Thats a 12.5" 16:9 display. Yoga 460 / P40 Yoga has a 14" 16:9 display, so just because its bigger you already have more vertical screen space available. And 1366x768 is not even an option anymore on this model, so screen resolution is also not a problem.

I know, that's why I use it connected to external 1600x1200 4:3 monitor most of the time except necessary on site work. I could use R51 with the internal display "as is" for years.

Anyway, as long as the filter can be removed the same way as people did for X1 Carbons (there are several threads about it) it is fine. Note it probably voids the warranty ... but saves your vision and mind. You can search for a "Anti-Glare Screen Protector Making The Screen Fuzzy?" to get more information.

Punch Card
Views: 9,084
Message 10 of 34

The stylus in the photo above is placed most iconically, as if they close the computer, it's going to the depot for repair.

I can't get a good look a the screen. Maybe if the P40 is full glossy, perhaps I should get the 12" yoga 2nd generation.

rant {

Glossy screens are the emporer's new clothes, Brendaem

Glossy screens were designed for people to look at their computer--not at their work depicted on the screen. They are just not as practical for computers that are used outside or an office enviroment with overhead lights.

I frequent a coffee shop in Silicon Valley where every day people have difficulty working anywhere near a window. I cannot count how many times, I've walked by someone's computer that with a glossy screen, and I was glad mine isn't one.

I even use matte screen protectors on my cellphone, and no, glossy screens are not easier to keep clean than matte. Before I got my matte screen protector for my phone, I used to clean it several times a day, and now, I clean it every few days. Matte screens don't show dirt and finger oils as much as glossy. They still show coffee, though....

}

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top tags