Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 8,103
Message 21 of 34

Re: P40 Yoga Matte or Glossy

I just received my P40 today. I've had it for about six hours. 

As I write this, I'm sitting in the cafe of an independent bookstore, no film applied, lots of flourscent and LED spot lights around me. I'm not getting any glare or overlap from the "glossy" WQHD screen, certainly nothing that warrants disappointment. 

I have an ES capable screen protector for an X1 Yoga on order. I'm not sure I'll even need it, but I'm sure it'll work without binding hinges or causing other problems. I'll post in this thread when I find out. 

I've used a half dozen MacBooks, a Surface Pro, and a W530 with color calibration. The W530 is the only thing that compares to the WQHD screen on the P40. I wasn't expecting much based on the pre-release reviews I'd read, but the display is very nice. 

Have a great day.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 8,050
Message 22 of 34

Okay, I received the screen protector. 

This one here

It doesn't have any resitance to it, making it not exactly what I wanted. However, it does fit with a little room to spare around the edges, and doesn't interfere with hinges, touch or stylus input, or the haptic windows button up front. 

The quest goes on for a matte screen option. Obviously, you've want one that went edge to edge, and didn't cover just the work area. Hopefully, someone makes one but I'm not going to get my hopes up given how few P40s will probably enter the market compared to other devices. 

If I find an ideal solution, I'll post a reply. 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 8,013
Message 23 of 34

Hey, I've got my review up on my Tumblr for anyone curious about the P40. 

http://arthurhwalker.tumblr.com/post/141188794998/lenovo-thinkpad-p40-yoga-review

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 7,933
Message 24 of 34

I ordered a P40 with a matte screen. Regrettably, the screen is not actually matte. It's more glossy than matte. It doesn't make sense because the W540 has a much higher screen resolution than the P40, and yet the screen is much more matte.

It's unfortunanate because I ordered the lower resolution screen only because it was supposed to be matte.

This seems otherwise a great little computer, and yet, I am going to have to decide whether or not to have it restocked.

Does that look matte?

IMG_0534.jpg

[Present: W540/K2100/4800QM/24GB. Past: X220, S10, T61P]
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 7,909
Message 25 of 34

From your other posts, it sounds like you were ready to be disappointed. Smiley Wink (I kid. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped for.)

Consider who this laptop was made for. Puppy posted earlier in the thread because he was deeply concerned that the matte finish would be a problem for screen clarity, color, and contrast. Clearly Lenovo took all that into consideration before the fact. It sounds like even the matte option isn't designed to step anywhere close to the light refraction threshold far and influence those variables to any great degree. 

For people who make visual content for commercial use, particularly for print or photography, any matte screen treatment is going to be pretty minimal. I wasn't worried about it because none of the treatments I've purchased or had factory applied have been an issue because the manufacturers don't want it to be. Lenovo didn't even apply a treatment to the larger resolution screen because people working photography and for print media are more likely to select it, and are (maybe, needlessly) paranoid about screen clarity. 

I ended up going with the WQHD so that I could apply my own film, mostly to get a little grit for drawing. The best option I've found was to keep the screen absolutely clear, and use a stylus with a soft nib. I get what is probably an imperceptably greater amount of screen clarity (good for my mental health), and the resistance I need to draw smooth inky lines (good for my book covers). 

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 7,895
Message 26 of 34

I am sorry, but I do not agree with you. If you look at the best color corrected monitors they are mosly matte. I had a friend who did color correction for one of the largest advertising agencies in the world, all done on matte monitors. Even Apple is starting to again address their glare issues, returning to using anti-reflection interference coatings.

Many people who do print photography are not likely to use a monitor with greatly differing characteristics than paper.

Years ago, I suggested making such a computer as the P40, adding a tablet/touch screen to the W540.

The two things that are totally baffling is why they Lenovo didn't go the extra inch and apply at least this treatment on the high resolution monitor. The W540 monitor treatment might have pleased everone.

For the first time, I have misgivings on how Lenovo represented a product. The sad thing is aside from the screen, this machine is a nicely made, if not, darling computer.

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 7,887
Message 27 of 34

I posted P40 benchmarks for Rhino 3D here: http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/holomark-2-released/8040/627

..and previously posted the W540 benchmark here: http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/holomark-2-released/8040/278

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 7,861
Message 28 of 34

It's okay. I think we do actually agree (mostly), and have similar preferences. It would have been nice if Lenovo had been able to provide more screen treatment options. Just because I'm happy, doesn't mean everyone else should be. Smiley Wink It could be that the fault lies with Corning, and that Lenovo provided all the options that were available to them. I honestly don't know. Smiley Sad 

I'm curious, does the display on your P40 feel like raw glass? Is there any indication that a factory applied film is present? Does the picture clarity change significantly when adopting a different viewing angle? 

I began an art commission (for print, and web) on my S1 Yoga that has a pretty nice matte treatment (factory applied), and finished on my glossy P40 before the screen protector I ordered could arrive. These are the only two Yoga machines I've owned, and I've come around to somewhat empathizing with Puppy's point of view. I still think matte screens are fine (and somewhat preferred), but I think a glossy display has a lot of advantages as well. 

The matte displays you're friend worked with likely cost that advertising agency thousands of dollars each. I've been to a few agencies and studios myself, and I've seen the matte displays you're talking about, hooded ones, and places that had a darkened post-production room. The designer I use for typography on my novels uses a glossy display in a dim office. My own workspace is suitable for mushrooms and bats. Smiley Wink 

I don't relate all this to diminish the point I think you're trying to make, but to illustrate that there isn't one or a "best" display option for the entire industry. I think you're right, it would be nice to have more options, and some indication of what those look like when compared to one another. I spoke to a guy from the Netherlands the other day (I think he was a structural engineer). He was able to get more information about the P40 from me in an hour of chatting online than in the month he'd been trying to contact Lenovo. 

Thinkstations sent me an invite to their social super san program yesterday. I think I'll accept. If I get any sort of chance to give some input, I'll definitely have a few suggestions based on our conversation. Smiley Happy

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 7,859
Message 29 of 34

Ah! Cool. Thanks for this. Smiley Happy
BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 7,843
Message 30 of 34

It appears like there is a very thin glass laminate placed over a glossy screen. The surface finish is a light haze, perhaps 3-5 microns. It does something, matte it's not. There is no reason why they couldn't have pasted this thing over the high-res screen.

Yes, the pair of 30" matte displays cost about a grand each. I picked them out for my friend : )

Interestingly, Lenovo does not appear to make a non-yoga equivalent to this machine.

Today, I forgot my power cord. I had to export some .stp files from Rhino 3D, from a file that takes 2GB once loaded. It did very well unplugged, better than the W540, because the latter is very throttled battery wise. I had asked them to disable 2 cores when on battery, and not throttle it, but it fell on deaf ears. Anyway, the P40 did well for battery life. I did about 45 minutes of CAD, and normal light computer use for the rest of 6 hours. I still had a few hours left.

I did an experiment with the stylus, I tried my Galaxy note stylus, which I knew wouldn't work, but I want to see if it got good traction, and having a rubber tip on the stylus is much better than what they chose for the P40. If the tips were interchangable drawing would kick a$$ on this thing, but even with this less glossy screen the stock nibs are too slippy.

The pen needs rubber tipped nibs and a rubber ring around it. The barrel I find a little slippy too.

I was trying to see if the Note 3 nibs were interchangable with the P40, when I sent one across the room, where I don't think I am going to find it.

Unfortunatly, the Samsung nibs are longer and thiner, though they could theoretically be cut and adapted.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top tags