Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 39,057
Message 1 of 12

ThinkPad Retro project status

Can you please post an update about the ThinkPad Retro project status ? It is the only hope to get a new laptop for serious work.

All new Lenovo 2016 models (except X1 Tablet) are just portable video players again due 16:9 screen ratio design that is not suitable for anything else

Bit Torrent
Views: 38,754
Message 2 of 12

Re: ThinkPad Retro project status

What is the Lenovo commitment to the project ? This is just another example of no communication in world of Intenet social media. At least a "we're working on it" would help to make people believe the project is still alive.

SCSI Port
Views: 38,751
Message 3 of 12

I personally never gave the Retro ThinkPad much credence beyond being somebody's pet project. There is no telling what official backing Lenovo has given it, nor can we gauge the extent of their commitment. Priorities change all the time, especially when they are gearing up to make a splash at CES. If the Retro project wasn't anywhere near ready to be updated at CES I'd expect Lenovo to go quiet on it, at least for the duration of this show. Did Lenovo kick this project to the back burner while they got ready to announce the new products we've seen? Did the project leaders have to put all their time into present projects?

I'm taking a Zen approach to the Retro project; "We'll see..."
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 38,834
Message 4 of 12

We asked David Hill, Lenovo's Chief Design Officer, during a Periscope Q&A. Here are the highlights of what he said:

• I thought, why can't we sell this? We invented it, we own it, no-one else can make a retro anything
  • The interest level exceeded my wildest dreams
  • It's not over yet
  • This is a very complex decision involving many things, product portfolio, development budgets, development capacity, there are issues with availability of displays at the aspect ratio...
  • We're listening, but you're going to have to wait a little while
  • would love to release something like this for the ThinkPad's 25th Anniversary (2017)
  • I still believe in the idea
  • There's a group of people who love the retro thinkpad and I'm trying to figure out how we can satisfy them
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Evil_Underlord
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 38,552
Message 5 of 12

I hope this goes forward, but they may need to drop some additional hints. I was planning to replace my X201s this year. I'd hold out for a retro model, but at present, it seems like the Retro will be 14" with a 16:10 screen. That's not too attractive. And if I buy a new laptop this year (X260?), I'd be unlikely to buy another one next year, even if it were 12" and 3:2.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 38,490
Message 6 of 12

@bananaman wrote:

We asked David Hill, Lenovo's Chief Design Officer, during a Periscope Q&A. Here are the highlights of what he said:

• I thought, why can't we sell this? We invented it, we own it, no-one else can make a retro anything
  • The interest level exceeded my wildest dreams
  • It's not over yet
  • This is a very complex decision involving many things, product portfolio, development budgets, development capacity, there are issues with availability of displays at the aspect ratio...
  • We're listening, but you're going to have to wait a little while
  • would love to release something like this for the ThinkPad's 25th Anniversary (2017)
  • I still believe in the idea
  • There's a group of people who love the retro thinkpad and I'm trying to figure out how we can satisfy them

Thanks Andrew - Great insight!

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 38,471
Message 7 of 12

@bananaman wrote:

Thanks. The source is probably this https://twitter.com/lenovo/status/685204897285804032

Why there is no regular blog post with this information ? Do we have to dig it from a third-party site or crap like Twitter instead of having project updates on Lenovo site?

Community SuperMod
Views: 38,424
Message 8 of 12

Yes that was the Periscope session. I was there, and asked the David the question.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 38,351
Message 9 of 12

You can now see the answer for yourself: Lenovo have posted the David Hill Q&A video at https://youtu.be/8lqAa_eD84A

The Retro ThinkPad question is at 13:30: https://youtu.be/8lqAa_eD84A?t=810

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 38,331
Message 10 of 12

Nice to find you on the video there and got questions covered! Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top tags