Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,497
Message 1 of 3

2017 ThinkPads: LTE-A for Awesome

In 2015 I fired up LTE on my X1 Carbon 3rd Gen figuring I'd try it then go back to WiFi-only. Well two years later it's still enabled and it's no longer an experiment. I rely on it. Now the 2017 ThinkPads have been released at CES, many with an LTE-A (Advanced) option. Up to 50% faster than LTE. Yum! I'm posting this from a 2017 ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen on LTE-A. There's not much to say about it really. It's just a mobile broadband data connection, but it's way more available than WiFi. Every mobile laptop user should have a built-in LTE-A connection!

While it IS possible to live hopping from WiFi network to WiFi network, and using a smartphone hotspot here and there, it's just more convenient having the LTE-A built IN.

Here's a picture of the Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A in the X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (it's the card with the big white label, bottom right):

2017ThinkPadX1YogaWWAN.jpg

And what you see in Device Manager:

2017ThinkPadX1YogaLTE-ACard.JPG

This post made via LTE-A Smiley Happy.

It's crazy to think that there are some manufacturers who don't have mobile broadband WWAN in ANY of their laptops Smiley Tongue!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,324
Message 2 of 3

Re: 2017 ThinkPads: LTE-A for Awesome

Does the WWAN module firmware work ? Try several sleep/wake up cycles and lost signal in a train.

Community SuperMod
Views: 2,285
Message 3 of 3

Re: 2017 ThinkPads: LTE-A for Awesome

Hi Puppy,

I just tried half a dozen sleep/wake cycles and the LTE-A reconnected each time within 10 seconds. I have not seen such a problem using the LTE card in my X1 Carbon 3rd Gen for two years.

What prompts your question?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals