cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 2,494
Message 1 of 4

CES 2017: ThinkPad Highlights

It was a great opportunity for me to go to CES 2017. Having never been in Las Vegas before, it was an all new experience for me.

I connected with the ThinkPad product manager at the booth to get the most accurate information possible. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask me and I will attempt to get the information for you.

thinkpadarticle_teaser.jpg

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 5

One of the most noticeable changes to the ThinkPad X1 Carbon is the introduction of the silver color. In the Skylake generation, we saw the introduction of the silver ThinkPad with the ThinkPad Yoga 260 and ThinkPad Yoga 460. While this is not an interesting for our loyal ThinkPad community, I believe it will appeal to a new audience.

The silver model in the Skylake generation wasn't that impressive, because the keyboard frame was still black, leaving me slightly disappointed by the apparent unfinished design. I assume this was done because it would be too expensive to develop an all new silver keyboard. Now in the Kaby Lake generation, we see how the keyboard frame is integrated with the chassis, allowing Lenovo to use the same black keyboard. The result is much better than before. Don't you agree?

lenovothinkpadx1carbongen5_1.JPG

One of the other advantages of integrating the keyboard frame with the chassis is that it allows to make our keyboard even thinner and more reliable. But hold on, what does this mean for serviceability? At CES 2017, I was told that it was only required to remove the bottom place of the X1 Carbon and then remove 2-3 screws. Then the keyboard is taken out on the bottom. While this is still a lot of screws to remove to replace the keyboard, serviceability is still a lot easier.

ThinkPad is now actually black again. Lenovo finally decided to address this after changing the colors with the Haswell generation in 2014. The black model is also coated with a special product to reduce stains and smudges. The coating has a very very slight rubber-like feeling and it also improves the grip when you are holding the ThinkPad X1 Carbon in your hands.

The front bezel has also been made significantly smaller, allowing Lenovo to make the dimensions of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon without giving us a smaller screen. This makes it easier to walk around with your ThinkPad X1 Carbon on the work floor and also slightly reduces the weight. Although I doubt you will notice the 0,069 lb or 31 grams difference. But keep in mind that if you reduce all the things in your backpack by even the smallest amounts, it will eventually add up and make a significant difference.

The Kaby Lake generation of ThinkPad also introduces IR for the camera. This will make photo authentication using Windows Hello even more secure.

For your convenience, I listed all the major differences in the table below

Skylake (4th gen) Kaby Lake (5th gen)
Dimensions 13.11" x 9.02" x 0.59-0.65"  12.7" x 8.5" x 0.6"
Weight 2.579 lb  2.51 lb
Camera 720p 720p with IR
Battery 11 hours 15.5 hours
Bluetooth 4.1 4.2
Processor Up to i7-6600U (3.4GHz) Up to i7-7600U (3.9GHz)
Thunderbolt 3 0x 2x

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 2

Many of the changes that were introduced with the 5th generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon can also be found on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga:

• Integration of the keyboard frame with the chassis.
  • Silver color
  • Thunderbolt
  • IR camera
  • Serviceability
  • ...lenovothinkpadx1yoga_1.jpg

The ThinkPad X1 Yoga now comes with Intel Iris Graphics processors. While these are still the 15W variants, they offer various advantages. The Intel Iris 640 is up to 2 times faster than the Intel HD Graphics 620 and it also comes with faster 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory instead of 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory. The fastest processor for the ThinkPad X1 Yoga, the Intel Core i7-7660U can go up to 4GHz, which is 100MHz faster than the i7-7600U.

The ThinkPad X1 Yoga also comes with two Thunderbolt 3 ports like its sibling the ThinkPad X1 Carbon. While not officially supported by Lenovo, it may be possible to use external graphics solutions.

With the integration of the keyboard frame in the chassis. Lenovo also had to look for a different way to lock the keys into place when folding the ThinkPad X1 Yoga. Previously, the keyboard frame would rise up and lock the keys into place, hence the name 'Lift & Lock Keyboard'. Now when the ThinkPad X1 Yoga is folded into tent, stand or tablet mode, the keys sink and disappear and rubber feet rise on the palm rest. You can probably already guess the name for the new keyboard: 'Wave Keyboard'.

Skylake (1st gen) Kaby Lake (2nd gen)
Camera 720p 720p with IR
Battery
  • IPS: Up to 11 hours
  • OLED: Up to 9 hours
  • IPS: Up to 16 hours
  • OLED: Up to 10.5 hours
Bluetooth 4.1 4.2
Processor Up to i7-6600U (3.4GHz)
  • Up to i7-7600U (3.9GHz)
  • Up to i7-7660U (4.0GHz)
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 520
  • Intel HD Graphics 620
  • Intel Iris Graphics 640
Thunderbolt 3 0x 2x

ThinkPad X1 Tablet

The new ThinkPad X1 Tablet's fastest processor Intel Core i7-7Y75 is 13% faster when compared to the Intel Core i7-6Y75. That is a significant improvement.

Supposedly, pressure sensitivty with the pen is improved from 2048 levels to 4096. However I still have to confirm this information.

lenovothinkpadx1tablet_1.jpg

Skylake (1st gen) Kaby Lake (2nd gen)
Camera 720p with IR or 3D camera 720p with IR or 3D camera
Battery
  • Up to 10 hours
  • Additional 5 hours with productivity module
  • IPS: Up to 10 hours
  • Additional 5 hours with productivity module
Bluetooth 4.1 4.2
Processor Up to i7-6Y75 (Up to 3.1GHz)

Up to i7-7Y75 (Up to 3.6GHz)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 515

Intel HD Graphics 615

Thunderbolt 3 1x 1x

Additional questions will be answerred in the comments.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,367
Message 2 of 4

Re: CES 2017: ThinkPad Highlights

Is there still the display backlight low PWM frequency issue that is almost exclusive to ThinkPads 2016 ? It is software (BIOS/drivers) issue.

Views: 2,313
Message 3 of 4

I haven't followed up on that issue. Wait for reviews from Notebookcheck. I haven't seen any complaints related to that yet, unless I missed them.

By the way, I am using a ThinkPad T560, I don't have any eye strain issues.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Guru
Views: 1,134
Message 4 of 4

Can you confirm it will have IR camera option?  I dont see it on the tech specs page.

thanks!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals