Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 53,903
Message 1 of 31

Sneak Peek: First impressions of the ThinkPad T470s

Revealed just very recently, the ThinkPad T470s runs on the latest Kaby Lake Intel Core.

How does it measure up to being used?

Moderator bugbatter received a pre production unit, and shows off its features here.

Have a question about it?

Pop them in here for her to answer Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 53,637
Message 2 of 31

Re: Sneak Peek: First impressions of the ThinkPad T470s

ThinkPad T470s With Windows 10 Pro Signature Edition for 2017

IMAGE T470s open.jpg

Several weeks prior to CES 2017 Lenovo sent me a pre-production ThinkPad T470s to review.

W.IMAGE 470s Desktop.jpg
The T470s arrived with a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Pro installed. Signature Edition PC’s are those without programs, toolbars, utilities, and screensavers that may be unwanted by the customer. This has been referred to by some as “bloatware”. Instead of Lenovo’s installing time-limited free trials for third-party software a Signature Edition results in a cleaner, faster experience for the customer. This also applies to an antivirus solution because the Signature Edition PCs ship with Windows Defender, Microsoft’s own antivirus/antispyware software that is included as part of Windows 10.

A couple of new features on the new ThinkPad are its processor, a 7th Generation Intel Core i5 “Kaby Lake” 7200U, and a Thunderbolt 3 port. The unit that I received for testing was without some of the optional features such as backlighting for the keyboard and a touchscreen, but all things considered, I was still able to experience the excellent T470s portability and performance. The T470s is perfect for business users who work on the go or for times when they take time off to enjoy music and movies. Mobile users who regularly work out of the office, having to rely on cloud services and portable devices will enjoy the T470s. With its fast LTE-A (4G) connectivity, if they are out of WiFi range, the T470s is easily able to access cloud data and apps.

W.IMAGE KBD.jpg
Lenovo gives users a choice of a silver or black exterior. The one I tested was black. People who are diehard classic ThinkPad users may need to get used to Lenovo’s modern keyboard. These Kaby Lake ThinkPads have a so-called “Precision Touchpad”. New users will find the modern keyboard and trackpoint with accompanying trackpad easy to use.

W.Image SideViews.jpg
Pictured above are the sides showing the ports. I was glad to see that ThinkPad kept the “Kensington” type slot (not shown) on the right side. In addition to that, notice the array of ports: two USB 3.0 ports/ HDMI port /3.5 mm audio jack/ Ethernet port / SD card reader / Smart Card reader as well as the Thunderbolt 3 port.

W.IMAGE bottom.jpg
As the image of the bottom of the case shows, there is ThinkPad’s “emergency reset hole” on the left and center, a “Power Bridge” .

IMAGE profile.jpg

Hardware Specs Provided By Lenovo

PRODUCTIVITY
Operating System Up to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Processor Up to Intel® Core™ 7th gen i7-7600U
Storage Up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD
Memory Up to 24 GB DDR4 Memory
Audio Dolby® Audio™ Premium
Camera HD 720p Camera Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 620
Battery Up to 10.5 hours*

CONNECTIVITY
I/O ports 1 x HDMI, 1 x RJ45 , 1 x Headphone & Microphone combo jack, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 3.0 (powered), 1 x Intel® Thunderbolt 3, 1 x Media Card Reader (4-in-1) (SD, MMC, SDHC, SDXC), 1 x Mechanical Docking Port, 1 x Smart Card Reader (selected models)
WLAN Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 2 x 2 AC + Bluetooth® 4.1 Intel® 8260 (2 x 2 AC) and Bluetooth® 4.1 Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18265 (WiGig + WiFi 2 x 2 AC + Bluetooth®4.1) vProTM
WWAN Integrated Mobile Broadband 4G LTE-A (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A (Sierra Wireless EM7455)) Integrated Mobile Broadband 4G LTE-A (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A (Sierra Wireless EM7430))
WiGig Intel® WiGig Douglas Peak 18260 Comb

DESIGN
Display 14” FHD (1920 x 1080), 250 nit, IPS 14” WQHD (2560 x 1440), 300 nit, IPS
Dimensions (W x D x H) 331 mm x 226.8 mm x 18.8 mm / 13.03” x 8.93” x 0.74”
Weight 2.90 lbs / 1.32 kg
Colors Black / Silver

SECURITY
dTPM 2.0
Touch fingerprint reader option

To quote Lenovo: “From an everyday user to an IT technician, these business laptops make life (and work) easier for everyone.”

Bugbatter

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 53,365
Message 3 of 31

Does the display backlight still flickers because of low PWM frequency 200 Hz is used for the whole brightness range as previous generation ? You (Lenovo) have this issue in almost all 2016 ThinkPads and we know it is a BIOS/drivers bug. The issue can cause serious eyestrain problems. Note that there are many cheaper laptop models that don't have the issue at all.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 53,326
Message 4 of 31

@Puppy wrote:

Does the display backlight still flickers because of low PWM frequency 200 Hz is used for the whole brightness range as previous generation ? You (Lenovo) have this issue in almost all 2016 ThinkPads and we know it is a BIOS/drivers bug. The issue can cause serious eyestrain problems. Note that there are many cheaper laptop models that don't have the issue at all.

Hi Puppy,

I have not experienced the display backlight problem that you refer to. I'll watch for it and post back if I notice a problem.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

veno77
Punch Card
Views: 48,914
Message 5 of 31

Hi, Bugbatter,

Do you notice any coil/cpu whine? If you put your ear next to the keyboard can you identify any coil whine?

Thanks,
Veno
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 48,691
Message 6 of 31

@veno77 wrote:
Hi, Bugbatter,

Do you notice any coil/cpu whine? If you put your ear next to the keyboard can you identify any coil whine?

Thanks,
Veno

I have not noticed that.

SpywareHammer

cheungtsw
Punch Card
Views: 46,875
Message 7 of 31

Btw, I noticed my recently bought T460 already has Win10 signature series.
bekirdur
What's DOS?
Views: 44,562
Message 8 of 31

Hello all, do you know or have a guess about when will this T470 series be generally available?  Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 44,522
Message 9 of 31

@bekirdur wrote:

Hello all, do you know or have a guess about when will this T470 series be generally available?  Thanks

Hello,
I do not work for Lenovo so I can make only a guess. According to this site and this one  it is expected to be February. Therefore, T470 and T470S should be available sometime soon.

SpywareHammer

bekirdur
What's DOS?
Views: 43,179
Message 10 of 31

Thanks a lot. I am looking forward to it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals