Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 25,498
Message 1 of 8

Sneak Peek: First impressions of the ThinkPad YOGA 370

All

One of our advocates received a pre production version of the ThinkPad YOGA 370 ahead of CES and very kindly reviewed it in his blog

http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?p=1493

Have questions about it?

Post them here Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

puntohgt2008
Token Ring
Views: 25,361
Message 2 of 8

Betreff: Sneak Peek: First impressions of the ThinkPad YOGA 370

The 370 sits inbetween older 260 and 460.

Do you have comparison to both?

ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 25,308
Message 3 of 8

I've pulled (most of) the content of that personal blog - Lenovo’s New ThinkPad Yoga 370 – It’s Silver! - here for easier access.

The unit I have is a pre-production, low-spec sample and the specs are preliminary.  This is intended as a conversation starter, not the last word Smiley Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yoga 370 Full BETTER RESIZED.png

Talk about an embarrassment of riches! Another Lenovo laptop has arrived! It’s a pre-production ThinkPad Yoga 370 – an advance sample of one of the new products due to be announced at CES 2017.

First things first: From time to time the nice people at Lenovo send me a gadget. They’re handy to have around – both for my own use and when trying to help out in the Lenovo forums. I do some testing and writing as well. I’m not otherwise compensated, and opinions are my own. I DO NOT speak for Lenovo.

I’ve done my best to gather correct specs here, but please keep in mind that the Yoga 370 is a pre-production unit. It’s not likely that things will change when it becomes available for purchase – but it’s possible. The specs available to me are also preliminary. Please verify anything you read here – about either model – before using it to make a purchase decision.

The TP Yoga 370 is a successor to the TP Yoga 260. Since I also have a ‘260 we’ll follow the same format used to introduce the (non-ThinkPad) Yoga 910 here and compare the two ThinkPads’ specs and features. Of course they’re both Yogas, with the poses, postures, and flexibility that implies.

Off the top, the main differences are Kaby Lake processors, larger display in a slightly larger frame with reduced bezel size, USB-C/Thunderbolt port, proprietary Ethernet port, deleted OneLink port (in favor of the USB-C port), deleted mini DisplayPort, and deleted volume buttons.

The specific pre-production unit that I received has an i5 7100U Kaby Lake CPU, 4GB of DDR4 RAM (single socket in this version, 8GB soldered in WWAN version), a 128GB SATA SSD, no fingerprint reader, and a 1920×1080 display. This is at the low-spec end of the option list but reasonably well suited for the way I’ll use it: evening surfing, some media consumption, and writing. The below shows the range of specs, using the documentation available at this writing.

Did I mention that it’s silver? It’s a looker – but this will take some getting used-to. Aren’t ThinkPads supposed to be black? At least it has a TrackPoint. That’s not negotiable. Period. The end. Full stop.

Specifications (table in blog)

ThinkPad Yoga 370 Base Specification

ThinkPad Yoga 260 Base Specification

Photos

Yoga 370 on top, 260 on bottom.

Again, the 370 is a prototype. Ports and features may differ in production units, and units with different options.

Front and rear very similar. The 370 is slightly larger.

Yoga 260 370 Front EDITED.png

Yoga 260 370 Rear EDITED.png

• 370: “slim” charging port, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, proprietary Ethernet port, USB 3.0/always on
  • 260: “slim” charging port, OneLink+, mini DisplayPort, USB 3.0/always on

Yoga 260 370 Left EDITED.png

• 370: power button, pen in pen silo, combo audio jack, micro SD card slot, (SIM slot in WWAN models) USB 3.0, HDMI, security lock port
  • 260: power button, volume up/down, pen in pen silo, combo audio jack, micro SD card slot/SIM card slot, USB 3.0, HDMI, security lock port

Yoga 260 370 Right EDITED.png

A look at the screens side-by-side, showing the 370’s larger display in a slightly larger frame on the right.

Yoga 260 370 Displays 1 EDITED.png

Yoga 260 370 Displays 2 EDITED.png

Random Observations

Device and Disk Managers, SSD performance: This TP Yoga 370 has a SATA m.2 SSD, not NVMe.  NVMe is an option.

Yoga 370 Disk Dev Mgrs and SSD Performance RESIZED.png

Operating System: this unit shipped with Windows 10 Pro Signature Edition.  It’s my understanding that production systems will also use a signature edition preload.  Signature edition preloads include much less (or no) bloatware.  That’s welcome news Smiley Happy

Like other recent Lenovo offerings, it uses a PBR (Microsoft push-button reset) image.  There is a small recovery partition but it contains recovery tools, not the recovery image.  The recovery image files are incorporated in the C: partition, not in a separate partition.  They get updated when the OS updates, so recovery isn’t to as-shipped state, but to as-shipped if it had shipped with the updated OS.

Linux: Live Ubuntu Linux 16.04.1. No wifi out of the box. SATA AHCI-mode SSD (containing Windows 10) is visible to Linux.

Yoga 370 Ubuntu 16.04.1 Live RESIZED.jpg

Virtualization: VMWare Player and two VMs. Requires enabling VT-x in BIOS. Two VMs pretty much maxed the 4GB of RAM in this system. Configuring the VMs with less virtual RAM each would help, but it’s not really workable to run both at the same time with the RAM available in this particular laptop. They also consume a fair bit of the 128GB of main storage.

For any kind of serious VM work a configuration with more SSD, more RAM, and perhaps a stronger processor would be appropriate. For occasional/demo/experimental use, this one is fine.

Yoga 370 Virtual Machines RESIZED.PNG

Dongles: The ‘370 uses Lenovo’s proprietary Ethernet port, since the unit isn’t thick enough for a standard RJ45 port.

The ‘260 made Ethernet available via the OneLink port – or with a USB dongle as described below.

There’s a Lenovo Ethernet dongle <part number needed> that provides a full-sized RJ45 connector.

Ethernet Dongle.jpg

It’s also possible to use an aftermarket USB-C or USB 3.0 to Ethernet dongle. I tested briefly with an Anker USB-C to USB 3.0/RJ45 mini combo hub. Also a StarTech USB 3.0 to RJ45 dongle. Both worked without requiring an additional driver. I mention them here as examples, not necessarily as recommendations.

Color: Did I mention that it’s SILVER? It’s also available in black…

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

adamtoday
SCSI Port
Views: 24,893
Message 4 of 8

Awesome post!. I like to know if Thunderbolt port support eGPU or not. Would you please take a screenshot of details section of your TH3 software and share it with us? Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,802
Message 5 of 8

Hi adamtoday,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  Still on the road...

I don't quite know how to answer your question.  Can you point me at something specific to check?

Thanks,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

adamtoday
SCSI Port
Views: 24,793
Message 6 of 8

@zoltanthegypsy

1. Please make sure latest Thunderbolt firmware /software is installed from Lenovo support page. 

2. Right-click on the Thunderbolt icon in your taskbar/notification area. You will need to run Thunderbolt software if there is no icon at taskbar notification area. Simply select the Start button and scroll through the program list to locate and open the Thunderbolt™ Software first. 

3. In the context menu, select Settings and then go to Details....

4. Look for "External GPUs supported" to see if eGPU is supported. it displays (Yes) or not (No).

It will look like the following screenshot
    support-egpu.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,749
Message 7 of 8

@adamtoday,

Looks like it's too early to answer your question Smiley Sad

This pre-production unit is runnng  a pre-production software preaload, probably intended for a different model.  The software you're asking about isn't present, and isn't on the support site yet.

I'll try to do some digging and see if I can find more info.

In the meantime, I've posted some of Lenovo's images of the 370 in another thread.  At least we'll have something nice to look at... ThinkPad Yoga 370 Photos

Z.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,429
Message 8 of 8

This article by   inspired a Wifi card swap:  Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 370 Q&A

I used the same card, an Intel 8260 Dual Band 2x2 AC + Bluetooth - without a Lenovo FRU number.  They seem to be readily available online and inexpensive.

There are 9 captive screws on the baseplate and it comes off fairly easily.  I removed the pen and uSD card first.  There are also plastic tabs around the edges of the base that release readily, with care.  When reassembling, the captive screws can make it impossible to get the tabs into position with the screws withdrawn, and difficult when they are screwed in.  I found than running the screws part-way and then using a spudger or credit card to ease the tabs into place worked well.

This TP Yoga 370 is now running a more recent - but still pre-release - Lenovo Windows 10 Pro preload, and the BIOS has been updated from 1.01 to 1.05.

This BIOS version also doesn't have a wifi card whitelist so it was possible to install a non-Lenovo card.  Hopefully that will remain true for production BIOSen.  The operating system preload already had a driver for the new card so it wasn't necessary to arrange for a wired connection to install a driver (or pre-install or transfer one in via flash drive after the swap).  Once wifi was connected I let it do an auto driver search via the internet and it updated to a current Intel driver.

FWIW,

Z.

TP Yoga 370 Base Screws CROPPED RESIZED.jpg

Note that this unit has a single RAM slot.  If it follows the pattern of the TP Yoga 260, some versions may have soldered RAM - so verify before attempting a memory upgrade.

TP Yoga 370 Guts 2nd TRY CROPPED RESIZED.jpg

TP Yoga 370 Intel Wifi Dev Mgr.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals