Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,015
Message 1 of 21

Your On-The-Scene Reporter is Here!

Hey everyone!

I'll be chasing down the latest at CES 2017 this year, and want to make sure everyone gets the full taste of CES. I'll be making blog posts on the big announcements (starting with my The Road (Or in my case, the flight) to CES 2017 post).

I'll be available to help and answer questions as best I can. Post replies here and I'll try to get the answers promptly.

What are you looking for at CES 2017?

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
puntohgt2008
HDMI
Views: 1,891
Message 2 of 21

Betreff: Your On-The-Scene Reporter is Here!

Great you are there!

Please give some in depth detail of the renewed X1 Yoga - which is my star.

Also interesting are the gaming Legion machines - gaming is life Smiley Wink

And there is a VR head set... Would you check it?

All the renewed ThinkPads are worth a look.

And: pictures pictures pictures Smiley Happy

Have fun!

ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,877
Message 3 of 21

Betreff: Your On-The-Scene Reporter is Here!

I actually bought the Mrs. the first gen X1 Yoga for Christmas, and have been able to play with it a fair amount the past few days. It'll be exciting to see what the biggest changes are Smiley Very Happy

I also have the Y700 17" laptop, so I'm curious to see how the Y720 compares.

As for the VR headset... I'll see how close I can get Smiley Wink
BassGuitarPanda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,796
Message 4 of 21

Re: Your On-The-Scene Reporter is Here!

Hey,

I've been looking to buy a new laptop this year and I got interested in the new Y720 laptop. Can you say anything about the build quality? Would it handle constant carrying around(every day) well? And are the hinges any good(or are they bad, like Y50)? I was also looking forward to seeing new 2017 ThinkPad workstations, but I am a bit blank on how CES shows go, so I don't know if there will be any. Are all the models already revealed or will there be more? And if there will be more, is there any word on new ThinkPad workstations?

Thank you for your reporting Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,769
Message 5 of 21

Playing with it, it's as good or even better than my Y700. The 720 and 520 both seem extremely robust, and don't have any real play in flex.

I won't lie, I kind of want one, even if there is no flavor of 17".

Here are a few shots of it: http://m.imgur.com/GR0iIwl,GvviTWa,j8zTJWf

BassGuitarPanda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,756
Message 6 of 21

Wasn't there a 17" Y910 announced a while back?
Link to its page: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y900-series/y910-17/
It seems pretty similar, just not sporting the Legion moniker and the extras might not be the same(Xbox controller, Atmos sound, etc)
Well, it's nice to hear that they're making the new Legion Ys with good/better build quality, now. I will probably end up getting the Y720, then. But I am holding my breath a little for any new ThinkPad mobile workstations, because ThinkPads have even better build quality...the best, so to say. And mobile workstations, because they're the only ones left, of the ThinkPads, that could feature the Nvidia Pascal graphics, since Yogas, Ts, Es and Ls won't. No ThinkPad workstations to be seen (yet)? Do you think there will be any at all, at CES?

Thanks for your answers. You've been really helpful Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,692
Message 7 of 21

I haven't seen any rev ups of the mobile workstations (P series). Most of the focus is on the 2nd Gen X1 Yoga, X1 carbon (which Gen are we up to on that again? Haha) and the X1 tablet. 

Thing is, the latest series of Intel processors are so powerful on the mobile side that I found myself looking less into the mobile workstations than ever. 

Are you intending to use the workstations for CAD? 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,691
Message 8 of 21

I haven't seen any rev ups of the mobile workstations (P series). Most of the focus is on the 2nd Gen X1 Yoga, X1 carbon (which Gen are we up to on that again? Haha) and the X1 tablet. 

Thing is, the latest series of Intel processors are so powerful on the mobile side that I found myself looking less into the mobile workstations than ever. 

Are you intending to use the workstations for CAD? 

BassGuitarPanda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,666
Message 9 of 21

I'm not really interested in CAD too much. The reason I'm looking at mobile workstations is that I want the great build quality that ThinkPads offer and powerful graphics cards(for gaming Smiley Very Happy). But the problem is that none of the other ThinkPad series seems to have a graphics card batter than Nvidia Geforce GTX 940MX, which is an old and obsolete graphics card for today's games. I have decided I'd only go for machines that have Nvidia Series 10 graphics(eg. GTX 1060, 1070...) or equivalent Quadro graphics(Maxwell and Pascal based Quadros are now as good at games as Geforces, that are built on the same chipsets), so the only ways to get what I want is either for Lenovo to unveil a new mobile workstation with new Nvidia graphics or hope that the Legion Y720 has a good enough build quality Smiley Very Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,632
Message 10 of 21

Well, I can certainly agree with you there. It's why I purchased the X1 yoga for my wife. That thing is darn near indestructible (though I did buy a 5 year onsite warranty just to play it safe) 

Honestly, I carry my Y700 often, and I've noticed the series overall has been really well designed for build quality since about the Y570 series. But it does all depend on how hard you are on it. If you find yourself flipping the screen around often, then the screws that mount the hinges of the screen to the chassis will eventually loosen off. I found family members (not naming any of them, but you know who you are) work through those hinges in about 16 months. I ordered this family member the Y700-15ISK in July 2016, and I haven't heard a murmur of it breaking yet. 

Honestly, I'm with you on build quality fears. But for what it's worth, these Y7xx and Y9xx are built extremely well from my impressions. 

But hey, if you want true computing power, the Cube Y710 comes with up to a GTX 1080, and a convenient handle! Haha

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals