Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 505
Message 1 of 9

The New ThinkPad YOGA

ThinkPad-X1Yoga-B_1600x900.pngThinkPad X1 YOGAThinkPad-X1Yoga-A_1600x900.pngThinkPad X1 YOGA

The first-generation ThinkPad X1 Yoga came later at CES 2016. Three years later and the new X1 Yoga shares more innovation with its X1 Carbon brother than ever. The 4th generation multi-mode laptop is thinner and lighter with a smaller footprint thanks to narrower bezels and is constructed in a precision-machined aluminum chassis.

The premium keyboard, display options, Dolby Atmos™ Speaker System, far-field mics, and the all-important battery life, and global LTE-A capability also come together in the X1 Yoga. The differences in this fourth-generation laptop go even further:

• Weighing less than 2.99 pounds (1.35kg), the X1 Yoga is 11% thinner than previous generation at 15.2mm
  • Narrower bezels all around result in an overall 17% footprint reduction
  • Reinforced precision machined aluminium chassis in “Iron Grey” color
  • X1 Yoga now supports all docking solutions, including ThinkPad Mechanical Dock.
  • Proven integrated ThinkPad Pen Pro continues to offer multi-mode pen input

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 338
Message 2 of 9

Re: The New ThinkPad YOGA

Looks like a nice machine.

On the positive side: 

- air is now blown out the side rather than into your lap

- narrower bezels, smaller footprint

- apparently (yes?) we can now have Windows Hello IR camera AND the ThinkShutter in the same model

Missed opportunities imo: 

- still the same impractical 16:9 aspect ratio screen with the giant lower bezel. Please move to 3:2

- still no volume rocker, meaning changing the volume while in tablet mode will be annoying

- still half a pound heavier than the X1 Carbon at 3.05 lbs (see one-pager PPTX)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 327
Message 3 of 9

It seems to me that if it were a half pound heavier before, that might be caused by the yoga's touch screen (base configuration) vs, non-touch in the carbon.  Touch screen adds a cover with a digitizer.  I would assume that is still the case.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 266
Message 4 of 9

@richk wrote:

It seems to me that if it were a half pound heavier before, that might be caused by the yoga's touch screen (base configuration) vs, non-touch in the carbon.  Touch screen adds a cover with a digitizer.  I would assume that is still the case.

Huh, I had thought the touch electronics would be lighter than that, but in an older review on Engadget of an earlier Carbon model they quote a 0.4 lbs difference. That's incredible, but it does match most of the weight difference with the latest X1 Carbon. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 258
Message 5 of 9

It isn't the electronics.  It is the glass layer that contains the matrix of fine wires.  It is bonded onto the front of the LCD.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 172
Message 6 of 9

Lenovo X1Yoga 4th Generation, 4K UHD (HDR400) Dolby Vision Display, Thinkshield privacy software, Global LTE CAT18 Support, with mechanical docking option. New aluminum CNC finish. Still has the garaged stylus, but to accommodate mechanical docking the keyboard no long retracts into the deck in tablet mode. Kinda on the fence about that. Kinda depends on what’s important to you.

X1Yoga_00.jpg

X1Yoga_01.jpg

X1Yoga_02.jpg

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 145
Message 7 of 9

Hi there,

PCWorld did a nice comparison video of the new ThinkPad Yoga 4th Gen and the X1 Carbon 7th Gen.

Especially interesting is that they have different footprints.

Best 

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Guru
Views: 120
Message 8 of 9

The ThinkPad X1 Cream of the crop was on display at Lenovo CES the refreshes of the X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga are both stunning.  Calling the X1 Yoga 4th Gen a refresh is an understatement.  Really the machine has been re-engineered.

X1Y1.jpg

In my opinion the the X1 Yoga was never a physically heavy machine.  I type this post from a Gen2 and its far from physically demanding to hold at 1.42kg.  The new 4th Gen is 1.36Kg, is thinner with a smaller footprint.  The body is now machined aluminium, in a very dark grey with smaller bezels and the wave keyboard has now gone (so reduce size and weight).

X1Y2.jpg

The X1 Cream of the For me the flexibility of the ThinkPad X1Yoga would still make it my pick over the #X1Carbon. That little extra weight & marginally larger footprint is more than compensated for with stylus input and a greater number of positions in which to work.

X1Y3.jpg

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 82
Message 9 of 9

Am I overlooking it or did we really lose the microSD card reader?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors