07-13-2017

US

9 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 71 of 139

Re: Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

2017-07-13, 16:38 PM

In about 25% of the N22 we have at our school the 2 W S X keys are dead.  The keyboard ribbon cable is defective at the crease where it is folded.   My solution is to open and flatten the crease with a strip of foam rubber with double faced tape, thus preventing the crease from folding back.  I then let the ribbon find a new place to fold over without creating another sharp crease.

Although the solution is simple, the task to open and fix a factory defect is annoying.  We did not have any problems like this with the N21 model.

I also found that the case screws, or rather the little brass nuts that are pressed into the case break free of the plastic mounts inside the case.  When that happens the screw and nut just spins, the screw does not come out.  A repair of plastic epoxy is then needed to reset the nut in whats left to the place where the nut belongs.

Options

13 Posts

09-21-2016

US

55 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 72 of 139

2017-07-13, 17:18 PM

We found that out too, that the constant open/close everytime a student goes from class to class and then at home if you calculate that is about 30 or more times the lcd is open/closed a day for a device a student carry to class and home, we had 75 laptops at the District at one point since then we have phased them out of production but no one of those laptops that are 8 years old been used daily have shown the level of deterioration this devices are showing after 4 1/2 months requiring the keyboard to be replaced and the bottom plate replaced too (lenovo states this is rought handling) I say is cheaply made with poor materials. 

we are talking to them to get longer protection against this since last year 124 n22 failed out of 200 and the other 200 units haven't failed yet (they dont get used daily, often they get used twice a week at most) we'll see.

Options

19 Posts

03-02-2017

US

67 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 73 of 139

2017-07-14, 13:28 PM

You are not allow on this issue regarding the N22's I was told it was a small number of computers lenovo is seeing with this problem but I think its much larger.

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2017

US

30 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 74 of 139

2017-07-19, 1:14 AM

Question: "Registered: 9-16-2014?
You Continued: "Lenovo has an open investigation into customer reports of unexpected keyboard behavior on N22 Chromebooks. The root cause for this is being determined.

For N22 Chromebook customers experiencing issues with their keyboards, please contact Lenovo Service or your Lenovo account representative for assistance.
I will post again when a solution has been provided." HAVE YOU POSTED THE SOLUTION?
"IT IS WELL KNOWN IT IS A KEYBOARD ISSUE" TODAY is 7/17/2017. THEY HAVE KNOWN THE PROBLEM AND SOLUTION FOR A LONG TIME. N-O-W my repair status: Overall In Progress
Date Created: 5/30/2017, 3:29:23 AM

Service Order Overview:

The ticket number for your current service incident is 7_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3

6/30/2017, 11:18:50 AM "After performing problem determination our service technician has identified the failure. Despite our best efforts to maintain an inventory of all repair components, the service part needed to repair your machine is currently unavailable. We are working diligently to obtain replenishment stock and will repair your machine as soon as the part becomes available."
Lenovo, you "Determined the problem?" "Part currently not available?" "Despite your best efforts...part is unavailable?" "Best efforts?" "Working diligently...?" SUGGESTION: GO TO Newegg.com and PURCHASE A NEW REPLACEMENT KEYBOARD FOR MY LENOVO N22 FOR $21.39 USD, REPAIR MY COMPUTER AND SEND IT BACK TO ME! I KNOW THIS PROBLEM WAS IDENTIFIED AS EARLY AS This Post done, 9/16/2014! But, can't keep inventory! NOTE, I was the former owner of CompuSolve. I am pretty familiar with computers wouldn't you say? People can laugh all they want at I now using several brands of Chromebooks, but, MS Windows kept me in business "cleaning up" viruses, Malware, problems with Windows versions upgrading and patches, etc. Multiple MS Certifications, and BETA TESTER.

Options

2 Posts

08-02-2017

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 75 of 139

2017-08-03, 0:09 AM

Thanks for sharing. This worked for me.

Options

4 Posts

08-28-2017

US

23 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 76 of 139

2017-08-29, 18:14 PM

Update as of 8-29-17:  I just got off the phone with support...It was indicated that there is still an investigation and that Lenovo knows about the issue, but they will not do anything about it if the product is out of the warranty period. I just sent a product back to another company 5 years after manufacture date (well past warranty expiration) to have a free repair because they acknowledged the manufacturers defect.  Please Lenovo correct this faulty product! I have three of your products for home use, but I doubt I will ever buy another one.

Options

19 Posts

03-02-2017

US

67 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 77 of 139

2017-08-29, 18:35 PM

Dealing with Lenovo regarding chromebooks is a complete joke. This company is not customer friendly. I would suggest speaking with the vendor that you purchased your Lenovo product and inform them of the issues you have had. I know 2 large sales companies that are no longer pushing the Lenovo Product based on Lenovos complete lack of customer service. 

I just spent 45mins on the phone with a service tech today to send in some N22's for warranty repair, and at the end of the call he sent me an email requiring I fill out a template for multiple dispatches. Bassically a sheet explainging everything I told the tervice tech.

Options

5 Posts

10-20-2016

US

16 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 78 of 139

2017-08-29, 18:44 PM

Our school hasn't had any issues with getting warrenty repairs or even getting every keyboard replaced.  Yes you have to fill out a small speadsheet with the serial numbers and a short reason as to the issue but thats not any differn't than any other company.  You don't need to call them at all once your account is setup, I just send the dispatach a new spread sheet with that info and they send me a new case number over email.  I return about 50 chromebooks a month this way.  The large inventory control sheets aren't nessesary either to send them, once they have it on file your good to go.  Just starting out might be a pain but once they get you going its almost too easy.

I'm still wondering why there are even posts on this support form.  Lenovo already told everyone over a year ago that there aware of the N22 keyboards being defective and they have fixed the issue.  I'm still as of 8-29-2017 getting keyboards replaced for free becuase of this even though they are out of warenty.  If your a business or a school they should be giving you the same customer support we have recived.

Options

2 Posts

08-02-2017

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 79 of 139

2017-08-29, 18:58 PM
What I did was open the case, find the cable that connects the keyboard, bend it the opposite way and close the case with the cable bent like that.
My keyboard is working after this.
Options

13 Posts

09-09-2016

CA

42 Signins

268 Page Views

• Views: 268
  • Message 80 of 139

2017-08-29, 19:22 PM

I've had the exact same issue regarding support.

The techs make us repeat information multiple times even if it is entered in a callback form. If you try to do more than 3 machines at a time, they do the 'spreadshee ' method that goes to another service provider and is actually -MORE- work for the end user.

Business/bulk purchases should truly have seperate support lines or something a bit better/more efficient than the end-user support channels we are forced to use.

We are keeping logs and our average call time is very long for machines that usually do not boot up or have hardware damage  (ie: no troubleshooting steps can make a cracked screen dissapear) .

This is based on about 100+ support calls we had to make last year. I actually have someone helping me dedicated to doing the service calls/boxing/unboxing.

Thank you for forwarding this to the right people forums folk!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete