Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebsterjane
Punch Card
Views: 8,324
Message 1 of 132

Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

We have this problems with around 15 chromebooks and have reloaded.  Any reason why it seems to be the same keys not working?  

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 8,161
Message 2 of 132

Re: Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

Hello rebsterjane, welcome to the community,

we recently had a similar case here which conveniently solved itself.  Are you able to test maybe one or two of the systems with an external keyboard to see if those letters and numbers are working and let us know please?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

admink12ISD
Punch Card
Views: 8,036
Message 3 of 132

we purchased around 250 units along with another 150, just this last week we started having chromebooks (lenovo n22 -20) 80SF LRNXB6612004 and LRNXB6507004) specifically both of this units experience at one point issues with the T Y and refresh button, I came across this post and wanted to know if this an firmware issue or hardware misconnection in the internal wiring? because the unit stops working then after some trial and error got it to refresh the os (wiping it) by using esc -refresh key and power (the refresh key it worked after a few restarts) it showed me the yellow exclamation mark i hit ctrl d then it restarted again then pressed enter and it came up wiped as new so enrolled in enterprise and they keys worked again fine -yesterday afternoon- today they arent working again, so i stopped our automatic updates in the console because i heard of updates issues and to be sure I stop it (i have a local organizational unit were i put the chromebooks to troubleshoot) i just stop it on production but i wonder if this issue is related somehow to a firmware defect? motherboard defect or mechanical defect? our chromebooks came with the following version:

Google Chrome Version
Platform Version
7834.66.1 (Official Build) stable-channel reks
Firmware Version
Google_Reks.7287.133.19
Boot Mode
Verified

some I have updated to the latest firmware trying to determine if the issue is related to a bug in the firmware

Enrollment Date
Aug 8, 2016

Google Chrome Version
Platform Version
8530.81.0 (Official Build) stable-channel reks
Firmware Version
Google_Reks.7287.133.36
Boot Mode
Verified

while all the ones giving the keyboard issue were running the following version:

Google Chrome Version
Platform Version
8350.68.0 (Official Build) stable-channel reks
Firmware Version
Google_Reks.7287.133.19
Boot Mode
Verified
Enrollment Date
Aug 8, 2016
Directory API ID
f6e71a86-65b9-48c6-b1fe-0aebbd78b588

the issue keeps happening as the N22 gets updated (configured to stable channel on a separated t/s OU)

the 49 apparently is the one the units ship with, the 52 is an updated probably installed after enrollment, and 53 is the latest update that seems to fix the issue and in certain cases the problem comes back.

at this point i have in my desk three chromebooks that t y and refresh wont work and around 400 units in deployment, can you help us out define the origins of this issue? I cant imagine having to send units for repair and the whole transition taking more than two weeks. 3 devices is not a big deal but 10 devices may or more? is this hardware? software? if so can we work a way so we are not waiting forever to get a product that should have been ready and be at least a year without an issue?

thanks.

rebsterjane
Punch Card
Views: 8,019
Message 4 of 132

I have not found that wiping the N22 chromebooks clean does NOT fix the problem.   I probably have about 25 chromebooks that have keyboard issues.  I find that the keys usually affected are 5, 6, t, y, and sometimes others.

These chromebooks have been used for 4 to 6 weeks.  We have purchased 1000 chromebooks.

The other issues that is common is the chrombook won't charge or hold a charge.

Verion:  53.0.2785

I have sent these unit back.  I am disappointed to be having this problem and wish Lenovo would pay for the shipping.

Highlighted
admink12ISD
Punch Card
Views: 8,014
Message 5 of 132

I would be good if lenovo would come down their throne and recognize this issues and arrange something for us, also it wouldn't hurt to know what is the issue that in certain cases we could even swap they keyboard if that's the issue, for the sake of speeding the process and not having to wait 3 to 4 weeks for a repair of a device that is a month a two days old (in my case) but they need to figure this out, is it the keyboard? i even read somewhere that it could be the main board, maybe its craftmanship or maybe the last unit in the assembly line getting knocked over and hitting the floor so every 50 you get one that hits the floor and gets that issue,.. Lenovo should shine some light into this. 

rebsterjane
Punch Card
Views: 7,992
Message 6 of 132

I'll keep you up to date when I get the resolution.

jsiegfried33
Paper Tape
Views: 7,917
Message 7 of 132

I am having the same issue with a number of my N22 Chromebooks.  Has anyone came up with a specific reason why this is happening?  Is there a recall on the cables or keyboards?

rebsterjane
Punch Card
Views: 7,886
Message 8 of 132

I have found reloaded usually fixes the t and the y.  But I have found that it does not fix the 5 and 6.  

Lenovo Employee JPChrome
Lenovo Employee
Views: 7,881
Message 9 of 132

Just wanted to give an update on this issue we are still researching the problem  and will get back to this forum as soon as possible

cjkochh
Paper Tape
Views: 7,838
Message 10 of 132

We are also experiencing this problem in our district.  We purchased 162 N22's in March of 2016 and these devices are having the key problem, battery problem and also a problem where the device powers off when students close the lid - even though we have the settings in the admin console set correctly.  The 300 N22's we purchased in May of 2016 are not having any problems at all.  I am curious from others who are having this problem when they made their purchase.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals