Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 121 of 131

Re: Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

Not that I've heard, no. We tried those 3D printed clips that someone created and linked to a few pages back, with mixed results. I thnk we did 6 to test, and only 2 have remained opertational since the rest came back with the same problem.

Between this problem and the weak corners (the upper-left corner of the keyboard, the plastic housng around the brass-coloed bit that the screw screws into splinters easily), the N22 was a masive dud.

Highlighted
IowaEdu
Punch Card
Views: 848
Message 122 of 131

I would absolutely agree with you axl917, not only was the N22 a massive dud so was the way that Lenovo handled their engineering faults with this product.   

AlliOop
Paper Tape
Views: 835
Message 123 of 131

Oh - don't even get me started on the terrible screw housing!! This was a terrible product, and terrible support, and we are a large school district and you can bet we won't be getting Lenovo products again!

nmushansky
What's DOS?
Views: 611
Message 124 of 131

I have fixed almost 50 of these.  Problem lies with the ribbon cable of the keyboard.  Take apart the chromebook, have the keyboard still connected with the ribbon cable and straighten out the cable and the keys will work again.  The issue lies in the cable bend,  t y 5 6 keys.  New keyboard replacements have this fixed with a different cable bend supported with black plastic.  To fix the issue straighten the cable and tape it, with electrical tape or painters tape.  This will support the cable so it doesn't pinch. 

nmushansky
What's DOS?
Views: 610
Message 125 of 131

I have fixed 50 chromebooks with the faulty cable with electrical tape or painters tape. Just tape the bend so it doesn't pinch.
Lemonovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 592
Message 126 of 131

Another helpful tip I have found recently: when un-creasing and shimming the cable at the bend does not work, grasp the keyboard cable at the base (where it first comes out from the keyboard itself) and pull firmly. The cable may be creasing inside there as well.

axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 127 of 131

The most helpful tip I can offer here is....

Buy HP Chromebooks.

Lemonovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 575
Message 128 of 131

Better yet, get ASUS.

axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 129 of 131

Btw, I doubt this solution is going to hold for very long. We tried 3D printing a half-dozen clips someone came up with earlier in this thread as a test, and all but 1 came back with the same issue within a week.

There's only so much time that one can put into DIY'ing a defective design.
AlliOop
Paper Tape
Views: 549
Message 130 of 131

No kidding, Paper Tape! I had close to 400 for our 8th grade class and about 1/3 had the issue. I would open them and straighten the ribbon and make sure it was connected well. I started putting styrofoam pieces in the ribbon to keep it from re-crimping, and while that worked temporarily, many of the same ones came back to me. Not to mention that many of the internal female screw thread sat in a plastic seat, which cracked and the metal thread came out or was loose inside the CB. Super glue helped in some cases, but not all. As a technician, where many come to me for advice, I tell everyone I know not to buy Lenovo brand anything! I've never had a good experience with it, even their PC.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors