Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lemonovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,832
Message 111 of 131

Re: Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think replacing only the cable will cut it. It will work for a while, but because of the design, the same problem will happen again eventually. You either need the replacement keyboards that Lenovo tweaked the design on, or you need some sort of wedge to place between the fold of the cable to stop it from creasing and bending too sharply. Come to think of it, I don't think the cable can even be disconnected from the keyboard side anyway.
mark_1970
Paper Tape
Views: 1,799
Message 112 of 131

Andy, you never got back with me on our issue.   We need keyboards bad.  We are averaging 5 keyboards that need to be replaced every week, we the  T /Y and 5/6 issue.  W need more info on how to get our keyboards.  

I am pretty certain that if we don't get a resolution to this issue soon, our Superintendant will be sending 1200 N22's back and well as several hundred N23's........   Please help.....

mark_1970
Paper Tape
Views: 1,799
Message 113 of 131

Where can we get the ribbons?
manielsen21
What's DOS?
Views: 1,748
Message 114 of 131

Send them back quickly, before you are past the return date unless you want to be dealing with this issue for years to come. We purchased about 100 N22's a year ago, and I have had to send in roughly 50 of them to get serviced, and even after returning from service a few months later the issue comes back. This N22 model is defective, and instead of being an honest compnay and fixing the situation, lenovo will just tell you to spend more money on stuff that should have worked in the first place. Cost was about 15$ a unit to send into the service center and a few months later were back in the same situation, I have a stack of them sitting on my desk right now that have been serviced and still do not work. Buy Dell.

axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 1,066
Message 115 of 131

Unfortunately for us, there were only 4-5 issues with the N22s and the bad key/ribbon problem whle they were under warranty. Now nearing a year past the waranty expiration date, the issue is popping up like mad.

So far there's been reletaively few issues with the N23s, but the N22 line was the mother of all boondoggles.

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 1,009
Message 116 of 131

Axl917, how long have you had the N23's, and what trends in long-term problems have you observed?  I'm five months into a three year contract servicing N23's and would like to know what to expect, and to possibly work on mitigating those issues in advance, if possible.

axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 993
Message 117 of 131

We purchased 310 Chromebook N23s in July of 2018.Thus far we have had to send in 4 for warranty repairs, with a 5th on my desk at the moment. These appear to have been isolated defect issues rather than a running pattern of anything specific.

All in all ,this has been a relatively better experience than the N21s (flimsy AC adapter post and socket) and N22s (a smorgasbord, as evidenced by this and other threads here).
axl917
Paper Tape
Views: 990
Message 118 of 131

Nevermind, double-post.

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 973
Message 119 of 131

Either you mistyped the month / year purchased, or you're a time traveller!  For what it's worth, the biggest recurring issue I've noticed is that the overwhelming majority of the bottom cases ship with, or develop extremely quickly, hairline fractures along the leftmost internal screw mount for the hinges.  It'd be interesting if it turns out you don't have the same issue with yours.

Edit:  Also, the webcams are held together with mostly thoughts and prayers.  Very little force is needed for the hinge, webcam screw mount, or LCD cover screw mounts to just shatter.  Hopefully the environment where you support your Chromebooks is a little tamer than mine, because in over half the cases where the webcam breaks off, the LCD cable becomes severed, shorts out, and begins smoking / melting.  Lenovo has assured us that this doesn't pose a fire risk, which I agree with, except under specific circumstances (i.e. flammable vapor present, electrical problems that allow higher voltages into the webcam's portion of the LCD cable).

To elaborate, I've recorded a max temperature of about 270°F along a burning, severed LCD cable, using an IR thermometer.  I brought some scrap N23 parts home (just last weekend, actually) and attempted to get them into a sustained burn, which I was unable to do at temperatures below 400°F.  At most, the LCD cable will carry a flame for about two seconds at 300° or so (this wasn't a strictly controlled or monitored experiment, mind you) but will always go out.  Obviously, there's a burn risk when this happens, but like I said, probably not a significant fire risk until other variables are introduced.

dmkar1971
What's DOS?
Views: 481
Message 120 of 131

Has a resolution been found for this problem?  Our district has thousands of Lenovo products and this is a VERY common problem and costly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors