02-10-2017

US

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 61 of 136

Re: Chromebook N22 - t y 5 6 not working after reloading

2017-02-10, 17:00 PM

We've found the same problem with the N22-20 80SF Chromebooks. The keyboards frequently fail, particularly with T, Y, Refresh keys. Of the 100 purchased by the district this past summer, we've had 15 to 20 of them sent back for repairs on this issue - sometimes having to send the units back a second time for the same failure! This costs us around $14 each for shipping. It's ridiculous that we're seeing such high failure rates with these units. We're stuck paying and paying and paying. Not sure what we'll do when the warranty runs out.

Options

13 Posts

09-21-2016

US

55 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 62 of 136

2017-02-10, 17:34 PM

so far we had 80 coming down with keyboard issue, and now we are getting the no power/no light issue, but only 6 of those.

i wonder if it ever going to end? or if its after they keyboard issue stops, the next will is the no power. is there a lemon law for electronics? where the line gets drawn?

Options

17 Posts

03-02-2017

US

66 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 63 of 136

2017-03-02, 18:48 PM

The Keyboard issue I have been told is a result of a resigned and location move of the ribbon that now resides on the right side of the track-pad.

- When the ribbon comes into contact with the top cover and pressure is applied it shorts out and you will notice key failure.

- The new keyboards that are used to fix the issue not longer have the plastic grid pattern on the inside where the keyboard ribbon lays.

- This in turn gives the ribbon enough room and does not come into contact with the top or bottom cover.

I have been told that some service centers are not replacing the top keyboard/cover but instead are "sanding away the grid" at the location where the ribbon lays.

I hope that Lenovo plans on supporting this issue with an extended warranty to resolve the design failure.

Options

2 Posts

03-05-2017

US

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 64 of 136

2017-03-05, 17:20 PM

My son was having problems with the 5, 6, 7 and dash keys on his N22 (data of manufacture 2016/06/29).  Edge of the sheet metal structure of the keyboard wasn't deburred in manufacturing.  As a result it was rubbing (and abrading) the keyboard flex circuit.  It looks like I caught the issue before the metal cut any of the traces in the flex circuit cable.  By applying some 8 mil helicopter tape (and that's the best tape I had around but a couple layers of Scotch tape or packing tape would probably do just fine) to the metal edge of the sheet metal, this should protect the flex circuit from the sharp metal edge.  Hopefully Lenovo will/has updated the drawing for the manufacture of the sheet metal part -- it will be a thorn in their and our sides until the design is updated.  See attached picture.  Push comes to shove, this fix isn't super hard.  I would, however, hate to have to do it to 20 Chromebooks.  :-(

Options

2 Posts

03-23-2017

US

3 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 65 of 136

2017-03-23, 16:13 PM

I too am having the same issues.  We are a small district and have just over 100 N22 chromebooks deployed in our schools.  Up to this point, I have had to send 12 devices in for repair for the keyboard issue with another 3 that I made claims on today.  The tech support warranty department is of no help when pleading my case in regards to what appears to be a faulty defect in this model.  It is getting very expensive to send in for repair and I am concerned at what will happen next school year if the problems persist and they are out of warranty.  In the meantime, we have students without devices in our 1:1 deployment because they are having to be sent for repair.  I am hoping to get some resolution through this forum.

Options

17 Posts

03-02-2017

US

66 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 66 of 136

2017-03-23, 16:29 PM

I can't answer your question on how Lenovo will be dealing with units that are out of warranty but I would suggest calling your Lenovo supplier and explain your situation.

Below I have pictures of the difference in the old keyboard vs the new keyboard they are replacing. You can plainly see that plastic is missing on the new keyboard body in a the area that the keyboard ribbon lays. Also you will see that they added a film over the keyboard in the ribbons folded area for extra protection. On some new keyboards I have also seen a small foam divider the length of the ribbon placed in between the fold where the ribbon may come in contact with itself.

Options

2 Posts

03-05-2017

US

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 67 of 136

2017-04-02, 21:49 PM

:-(  I was so confident I had this nailed.  It worked and then stopped working.  Currently, the chromebook's "5", "6", and "-" keys have again failed.

Options

2 Posts

04-10-2017

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 68 of 136

2017-04-10, 13:33 PM

We are having the same issue. Small school 61 chromebooks purchased in October for 1:1 program. Sent one in on 3/29/17 for keys not working.  Have since received two more with the same issue.  Checked repair status today and it says part is not in stock.  32 to 34 business days to repair. $15.00 to send in the chromebook and slowly having to send in them all is not cost effective for this small school.  I have reached out to our CDWG rep.  Hoping for a better solution.

Options

13 Posts

09-21-2016

US

55 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 69 of 136

2017-05-03, 20:48 PM

after all this issues I would expect lenovo will give us an extended protection on this units, first we got 20 then 20 more then 20 more then 20 more, by the end of the warranty we would have send to repair 1/4 of the total ***and*** here is the important part the other 3/4's are probably going to start acting up within a few days of warranty been expired, I honestly think this devices should get and special coverage since we just got pretty much a dry acid lemon that keep on braking and first was the keyboards affecting 100 of the units we have send to repair, also and independently of other issues is the Dead motherboard issue no charge/no light no power Bricked Chromebook, and last and not least the left side hinge that cracks followed by the right side one, I think is a by product of the unit been dissasembled seen it in almost all units that have been pulled apart to be repaired (they used to send a tech but now we send them to depot) the bottom case is extremelly brittle and eventually it will fall apart (keyboard barrel nuts are equally faulty).

In any case Lenovo I expect you to be listening we put our trust in your products at least the right thing to do is to take responsability and give us support until we can be certain the issues have been contained.

1st issue the keyboard defective within 1st month of deployment

2nd issue the dead motherboard seen it within first 4 months of deployment 

3rd issue case brittle top and bottom been the bottom case the worst showing hinge support failure within 4 months of issue.

I could expect this from a no-brand or cheapo counterfeit devices but I wouldn't ever guessed I would have gotten this from Lenovo. totally unexpected and unprepared.  Will not happen again I assure you.

Options

17 Posts

12-06-2016

US

74 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 70 of 136

2017-05-04, 19:24 PM

I just want to give a shout-out to another poster on this forum, Techretary, who designed a permanent insert to place on the keyboard cables of failing units that have worked very well for our district so far. It's no manufacturer's extended warranty, but if you have access to a 3d printer, these work like a charm in most cases. They may buy your district enough time to get replacement keyboards and/or other repairs back. Here is the link to his (or her) post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-N-Series-Chromebooks/Lenovo-N22-T-amp-Y-general-key-failure-Perm-fix-insert/td-p/3620364 . I have found this to work for the most common combinations of T,Y, 5,6, and 2,W,S,X.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete