Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbfestus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,858
Message 1 of 52

Lenovo 100e Chromebook Motherboard issues

We purchased 1600 100e Chromebooks for a 1:1 program this school year.  So far we have sent off about 30 or so for warranty repair.  The symptoms have all been the following; Random reboots, will not power on, corrupting OS multiple times.  Support vendor says that the fix is to replace the mother board.  

However now the motherboards have an estimated availablity of Sept 17.  Anyone else seeing similar issues?

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 5,711
Message 2 of 52

Re: Lenovo 100e Chromebook Motherboard issues

We've purchased a few thousand 100e's, and have had quite a few with dead systemboards / not powering on, but I haven't noticed any issues with random reboots or corrupted OS - yet.  A common fix has been simply dis/reconnecting the internal battery.  That's revived maybe 1/3rd of the 'not powering on' issues we've had.
I know that doesn't help that much, but hopefully someone else can chime in for ya.

jbfestus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,692
Message 3 of 52

I did try that on a few and had no luck.  We have been told that replacment boards are not available until mid Sept.

GlenD
Paper Tape
Views: 5,617
Message 4 of 52

We issued our ~ 325  100e Chromebooks on 8/31.  I think we had one or two that wouldn't power, and now over the past week we've had several come in with a corrupt OS and it won't hold a re-flash for more thatn a day or two.

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 5,452
Message 5 of 52

An update for you.  We're now seeing TONS of devices with users reporting 'random shutdowns'.  Each one has multiple (sometimes several dozen) messages in /var/log/eventlog.txt with "Kernel Oops" and "Kernel Panic", and I've confirmed through testing that each one is written to that log when the device undergoes an automatic restart. 

Highlighted
mamarshall
What's DOS?
Views: 5,364
Message 6 of 52

We recently purchased a few hundred 100e chromebooks.  I have sent back 2 for damanged OS, 1 for keyboard issues, one for a flashing screen and now one for a erratic mouse.  

krogers
Paper Tape
Views: 5,266
Message 7 of 52

Wow... This could of been me writing the same exact thing. We just purchased about 1300 for 1:1 program and are seeing the same issues. Are yours also having trouble charging i.e. charging light will come on then turn right back off? Or once the Chrome splash screen comes up it stops charging? Sometimes I have to go into recovery mode to get it to stay on long enough for it to get a charge then I can restart it and have it keep the charge. 

Very frustrating...

daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,158
Message 8 of 52

*****LENOVO  PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND*****

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,151
Message 9 of 52

Hi! Welcome to our forums community. We provide 1 year manufacturers warranty from the date of purchase to ensure that any hardware failure within a year will be covered by Lenovo. You also have an option to extend it while it is still within the warranty period. For repair process or follow up, you can reach out our phone support on this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/SupportPhoneList?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 for options. For US customers, you also check the status on this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/repairstatus. For you to check the warranty entitlement, you can check it here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup. Just provide the serial number. Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

jbfestus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,139
Message 10 of 52

I am sure we are all well aware of Lenovo's warranty process. What I would like is some sort of comment from Lenovo to official say that they know about this issue, and what is being done about it.  We are up to close to 80 devices having the issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors