Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,467
Message 11 of 52

Re: Lenovo 100e Chromebook Motherboard issues

Dear Lenovo,

Your answer on warranty service does not address the issues stated here.

1 The Shim tool does not work properly.

2 We are replacing motherboards and are having difficulty inputing serial numbers into replacement motherboards.  We have no guidance from lenovo.

3 We are receiving numerous defective motherboards.  And now, having boards on backorder is unacceptable.

4 Being an authorized service center with zero support on troubleshooting is unacceptable .

We have thousands of these Chromebooks in the field.  Too many are starting to fail and we need an effective way to repair these units before a landslide hits. When we feel see a motherboard is bad we are strictly going by symptom.   Mostly because we do not have any testing tool.  I recently found after replacing the motherboard the battery was to blame.  We are then spending considerable time on troubleshooting.  To compound that, serial number adding is also time consuming without a working tool.  What are we supposed to do to give our clients customer satisfaction?  Should we just order a motherboard and battery every time in the hopes of repair? Do we as service centers "wash our hands" on the units and send them out for repair?  If so, where do we send them?  We all take pride living up to the standards of excellence on repair.  But sadly at this junction it does not seem possible.

We have taken the class provided and downloaded both the WW and US shim tool.  However it doesnt run correctly..

Please advise on troubleshooting procedures!

Dave

PS  The final test of the Shim Tool is running the (GRT) Google Required Tests.  And we can't do that.  Resulting in no confidence.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,433
Message 12 of 52

Primarily, the role of our authorized service center is to replace parts or repair the machine. Troubleshooting is done with our support team. We also provided troubleshooting steps on our website, offer troubleshooting steps from social media forums and our community forums site. Usually, once it is identified as a hardware failure, we refer to our authorized repair centers or setup repairs from our regional support team. Should you wish to repair the computer on your end, here are some videos that might help: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505031?Source=social_eservices&Medium=LITHIUM&Term=eSer.... For repair follow ups, you can send to us the serial number and case number so we could check what we can do from there.

Moderator comment: Link expanded.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,420
Message 13 of 52

As stated we are a authorized service center!  We are asking very specific questions  not a broad subject of repairs...

Shim tool  for instance   If we were not authorized how woulod we get the credentials to log in and obtain it...Clearly the factory is not using the tool that is posted . What are they using to troubleshoot and complete repairs?

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 1,414
Message 14 of 52

@daveatwce

1 The Shim tool does not work properly.

Agreed.

@daveatwce2 We are replacing motherboards and are having difficulty inputing serial numbers into replacement motherboards.  We have no guidance from lenovo.

You can update the serial with the following process:
Esc+Refresh+Power.  Press Ctrl+D at the "insert drive" screen.  Enter to turn OS verification off.   Device reboots.  At the "OS verification is off" screen, press Ctrl+D to continue to enter developer mode.  Turn the device off and unplug the battery.  Turn the device on and boot to the OS.  If it is stuck at the "OS verification is off" screen, press Ctrl+D and it will boot.  Connect to your network and accept Google's terms and conditions.  DO NOT ENROLL THE DEVICE YET.  Use the "log in as guest" link in the bottom left side of the screen.  At the desktop, press "Ctrl+Alt+T" to bring up a Crosh prompt.  Use the "shell" command to enter a linux shell.  Use the "sudo su" command to switch to the root user.  Use the command

vpd -s "serial_number"=XXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXX is the device's serial number.  You can then power the device off, reinsert the battery, turn OS verification back on, and continue your repair as normal.

@daveatwce

Should we just order a motherboard and battery every time in the hopes of repair?

I don't know what kind of agreement your company and Lenovo have, but we must have a certain percentage of our warranty claims utilize only 1 part.  If both the systemboard and battery are faulty, Lenovo will heavily penalize us for their faulty products.  That's an unacceptable solution.

daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,405
Message 15 of 52

Its the CLT + D that doesn't seem to function consistently
Highlighted
therog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,370
Message 16 of 52

So I have been sending in the Lenovo 100e's non stop to get them repaired (Not Charging, track pad failures, Missing OS)

Wow Lenovo support in the thread!! So your telling me that I have 900+ 100e's and if I want to I can extend the warrenty for an issue that is Lenovo's fault with your defective motherboards. This is complete BS and Lenovo should extend the warrenty for all of these models for at least 2 years to make sure they are covered incase the issue arrives or at leaset offer to replace them all with a different model or offer to bring someone on site to replace the motherboards in them all.  This is the last time we buy Lenovo chomrebooks with this kind of support.

Bjohnson1971
What's DOS?
Views: 1,276
Message 17 of 52

We purchased about 800 Lenovo 100e Chromebooks.. and I have now returned 12 for these same issues.. wont charge, wont come on. Chrome OS missing or damaged..

Frustrating to say the least and I am not sure what to do, but just keep returning them. The problem is I am a single tech person for the whole district.. and this is starting to eat up my time.. when we got Chromebooks because of how simple and easy the deployments are.

Hope they get this hammered out.. and even if they do.. how do they deploy a firmware update.. can they do that through the Chrome OS update? Because if I have to touch each device.. that is gonna stink.

daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,250
Message 18 of 52

I see a shim tool posted as of today 10/17/18  however it is dated sept 18th   is this one updated or does it still brick motherboards?

Has anyone tried it yet.....One of the symptoms the tool does ..after it reboots you get nothing but jalhouse bars on the screen.. Lenovo is aware of this but cant seem to contact anyone to see if the tool listed today is updated.

HarryWilson
SCSI Port
Views: 1,245
Message 19 of 52

I'm downloading the SHIM update now, and will report back how it goes.

Heads up to service providers, make sure to log out of smsc@lenovo.com from their support site before coming back to the community forums.  That account is banned from the forum, and you will not be able to log back in even with your account without switching to private / incognito browsing.  It happened to me a day or two ago, and the issue persisted until today, even after giving my system a full clean with bleachbit.

daveatwce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,243
Message 20 of 52

I would hate for you to brick a motherboard!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors